My duckling is breathing heavily and has not eaten today - Urgent

KResendez

Hatching
May 6, 2024
Hello. I’m a first time duck owner and one of my mallard ducklings is breathing heavily, it looks almost like panting. The duckling is roughly 2 weeks old (got them from TSC so not exactly sure of age/weight). The duckling has been breathing like this since at least 6 am this morning. I haven’t noticed it eat but it has drank water. I’ve made sure it has deep enough water to submerge its head. I also put it in the bath this afternoon to swim but it refused to dunk its head unlike its sibling. I noticed a small amount of what I’m assuming is food stuck in one nostril so I used a qtip to apply warm water. Any suggestions as to what’s going on or how I can help would be appreciated.

Hello. I’m a first time duck owner and one of my mallard ducklings is breathing heavily, it looks almost like panting. The duckling is roughly 2 weeks old (got them from TSC so not exactly sure of age/weight). The duckling has been breathing like this since at least 6 am this morning. I haven’t noticed it eat but it has drank water. I’ve made sure it has deep enough water to submerge its head. I also put it in the bath this afternoon to swim but it refused to dunk its head unlike its sibling. I noticed a small amount of what I’m assuming is food stuck in one nostril so I used a qtip to apply warm water. Any suggestions as to what’s going on or how I can help would be appreciated.
My apologies! I forgot to mention their bedding in pine shavings and the ducklings poop looks normal.

Back
Top Bottom