Your advice on my Ayam Cemani Roo

@CrazyChickLady64 Preston is a gorgeous boy, I've been wanting a Svart Hona flock for a long time but too many now. If you want to keep him, try a few things and see if he responds for a couple months. Like was posted earlier by others blocking his line of site/competition with your other roo might help by not adding to his aggression.... But first and foremost you gotta do what's best for you, your family and them ladies of his to keep everyone safe and happy.
Thank you I plan on putting him in his own coop for a while while his ladies get a little older and start laying. The reintroduce him and see how that goes. I have no little children to worry about just my girls. He is truly getting nasty with them. Wish me luck. If it doesn't work out I will re-home him and replace him

@CrazyChickLady64 Preston is a gorgeous boy, I've been wanting a Svart Hona flock for a long time but too many now. If you want to keep him, try a few things and see if he responds for a couple months. Like was posted earlier by others blocking his line of site/competition with your other roo might help by not adding to his aggression.... But first and foremost you gotta do what's best for you, your family and them ladies of his to keep everyone safe and happy.
Thank you he is beautiful. He is Cemani not the svart breed. I will have to look into that breed though 😉

Thank you he is beautiful. He is Cemani not the svart breed. I will have to look into that breed though 😉
Yes I knew just stating I've been wanting some Svart Honas . They are same fibro bird just basically the cold hardy version. Ayem Cemani are bit gamier looking but beautiful none the less, just don't think they would do well in my climate state.

Do you have AC girls for him?

Thank you I plan on putting him in his own coop for a while while his ladies get a little older and start laying. The reintroduce him and see how that goes. I have no little children to worry about just my girls. He is truly getting nasty with them. Wish me luck. If it doesn't work out I will re-home him and replace him

I hope he works out for you... ♥️

added two boys which I hatched they are 5 and 6 months old. One of them is a back yard mix, Elliot, and just the most lovable boy. The other is an Ayam Cemani, Preston, he is 4 months old
Whether 4, 5 or 6 months old. Boys. Adolescents. Cockerels. Think hormones running wild and no self-control.

I have had some cockerels this age that were fairly well behaved around the girls but not that many. At that age many are so controlled by hormones that they are trying to mate the girls so they can dominate them. Most calm down when they mature and start acting like an adult. Until then they can be pretty rough on the girls. Usually I let them go as long as no one is actually being injured but every three or four years it gets so rough I separate the boys to allow them to mature while I decide which boys and girls to eat and which ones to keep. You never know for sure how any will behave later but most of the time they settle down.

I'm a lot less accepting of a cockerel that is human aggressive. I might try holding him down or walking through him a couple of times to see if he can learn but much repeated aggression puts him on my "do not keep" list. I don't want one that might be a danger to my grandkids.

His hormones are raging and the pullets are too young to deal with his needs and can get harmed.

You could separate him with 4 adult older hens to let them teach him some manners.

I personally don't see a big benefit in the hens beating him up and abusing him. When I see a need I just separate mine from the flock. I believe it is the maturing that changes his attitude, not the brutality those hens are capable of.

But we all have different opinions.

Whether 4, 5 or 6 months old. Boys. Adolescents. Cockerels. Think hormones running wild and no self-control.

I have had some cockerels this age that were fairly well behaved around the girls but not that many. At that age many are so controlled by hormones that they are trying to mate the girls so they can dominate them. Most calm down when they mature and start acting like an adult. Until then they can be pretty rough on the girls. Usually I let them go as long as no one is actually being injured but every three or four years it gets so rough I separate the boys to allow them to mature while I decide which boys and girls to eat and which ones to keep. You never know for sure how any will behave later but most of the time they settle down.

I'm a lot less accepting of a cockerel that is human aggressive. I might try holding him down or walking through him a couple of times to see if he can learn but much repeated aggression puts him on my "do not keep" list. I don't want one that might be a danger to my grandkids.
TY! 😊

His hormones are raging and the pullets are too young to deal with his needs and can get harmed.

You could separate him with 4 adult older hens to let them teach him some manners.
I have a question. If I put him with adult hens should it be a minimum of 4 or do you think 3 would be ok? Also do I give them some see no touch time? Or is it ok to just put him with them?. They have seen each other on and off for a few months now.

Back
Top Bottom