What is wrong with these feathers?

The breeder swears that's not it, but I don't know enough about it to make a judgement call myself.
My lavender Hyacinth has the shredding gene. But I love her anyway. Lays reliably and is very friendly.

I wonder if upping protein temporarily may help? I had a hen who had TERRIBLE feathers. Looked like she'd been chewed. I increased her protein by mixing in starter, and she had a proper molt after over a year. Her feathers grew back beautifully. No one believed it was the same hen.

The breeder swears that's not it, but I don't know enough about it to make a judgement call myself.
I don’t have a ton of experience either, but it looks like the shredder gene to me. I had the same problem with my Lavenders. I’ve been breeding Lav x black, then their offspring back to lav to fix it. 237FE376-4758-4807-981A-485788C2855B.jpeg

My lavender Hyacinth has the shredding gene. But I love her anyway. Lays reliably and is very friendly.
Now I have to know what that is! Is it a breed? All I can find in google is the flower :lol:

I wonder if upping protein temporarily may help? I had a hen who had TERRIBLE feathers. Looked like she'd been chewed. I increased her protein by mixing in starter, and she had a proper molt after over a year. Her feathers grew back beautifully. No one believed it was the same hen.
I already feed 20% protein (Purina Flock Raiser) as a baseline, switching to starter won't change anything because that's 20% as well. Should I go higher? I worry that anything higher would be too much, it would have to be meat bird feed at that point...

This girl still has a whole lot of new feathers yet to come in, so I'm hoping she still has a chance of looking normal some day. When I processed her brothers, it felt like half of what they had were pin feathers, all hidden under the ugly feathers and ready to burst out!

I don’t have a ton of experience either, but it looks like the shredder gene to me. I had the same problem with my Lavenders. I’ve been breeding Lav x black, then their offspring back to lav to fix it.View attachment 3207974
My breeder crosses to black as well, to control for this. Actually she warned me that some of the eggs I got were from a lav x split pairing, so I might get some blacks as well. I guess we'll see what the remaining chick grows up to look like...

I already feed 20% protein (Purina Flock Raiser) as a baseline, switching to starter won't change anything because that's 20% as well. Should I go higher? I worry that anything higher would be too much, it would have to be meat bird feed at that point...

This girl still has a whole lot of new feathers yet to come in, so I'm hoping she still has a chance of looking normal some day. When I processed her brothers, it felt like half of what they had were pin feathers, all hidden under the ugly feathers and ready to burst out!
Maybe @NatJ could help you out on this one?

Back
Top Bottom