What did you do in the garden today?

Wow it’s great to hear all that’s going on in everyone’s gardens. In NW PA it can’t decide yet whether we’re still in winter or spring. Getting my garden dug one piece at a time but going slow. Sheep are looking ragged. Lambs are fisty, bunnies are just coming out of the nest and thinking I don’t see them with their ears sticking up, hens are almost in full swing. Still waiting for the ramp, and comfrey to sprout. The spring onions are up and hoping for other things to happen so I can start my spring fermentation. Started a project this spring. Anyone in my family including the extended ones wanting to grow a three sisters garden let me know and I supply them with iowachief corn, Kentucky wonder pole beans and a squash of some kind. They dig a 3 ft diameter circle and plant the corn every eight inches around the outside, after the corn is up about 4 inches they plant the beans inside 6” around the circle and the squash in the center and then report back at the family reunion how they grew. Of course we didn’t tell one cousin with the immaculate yard that his squash was Dills giant pumpkin. Just told him he had healthy seeds. Hope to get all brassicas family in this week some in the ground and some in the windows.

Today I had to go shopping, 🤮. I hate shopping. After we got home I started cleaning my hen den shed. Got it looking so much better. At least I can see the floor and move around. Just have a lot more to do with it though because I am trying to use the loft for a reading nook for the granddaughters. A friend gave me a star light with a bunch of strings of lights on it so I can hang it up so they can read

I bought a package of frozen beer battered fish from Walmart the other day and I baked it in my Breville oven for lunch. It really impressed me, and it brought back memories of the fish and chips fast food restaurant crave when it first came out. I haven't had these in ages, I am glad I bought it.

I am going to do a beer batter fry with my White Nile Tilapias this way when I get around to it. They keep multiplying, and some of them are very large like 5lbs or more.

Last edited:
So are they giant cucumbers or tiny watermelons?
They are tiny on both scales.
1711885440045.png

I've read they taste like cucumber with a hit of lemon.
When we were kids we'd drink milk with a good dollop of molasses in it. It was good!
Blackstrap molasses in coffee was fantastic!

When we were kids we'd drink milk with a good dollop of molasses in it. It was good!
We did that too. When the molasses jar was almost empty I would pour milk into it, put the lid on tightly, and shake vigorously. The result was frothy and delicious! On the back of the jar were recipes, and adding molasses to milk was called a West Indies milkshake. :cool:

Wow it’s great to hear all that’s going on in everyone’s gardens. In NW PA it can’t decide yet whether we’re still in winter or spring. Getting my garden dug one piece at a time but going slow. Sheep are looking ragged. Lambs are fisty, bunnies are just coming out of the nest and thinking I don’t see them with their ears sticking up, hens are almost in full swing. Still waiting for the ramp, and comfrey to sprout. The spring onions are up and hoping for other things to happen so I can start my spring fermentation. Started a project this spring. Anyone in my family including the extended ones wanting to grow a three sisters garden let me know and I supply them with iowachief corn, Kentucky wonder pole beans and a squash of some kind. They dig a 3 ft diameter circle and plant the corn every eight inches around the outside, after the corn is up about 4 inches they plant the beans inside 6” around the circle and the squash in the center and then report back at the family reunion how they grew. Of course we didn’t tell one cousin with the immaculate yard that his squash was Dills giant pumpkin. Just told him he had healthy seeds. Hope to get all brassicas family in this week some in the ground and some in the windows.
Hang on, Spring's coming.
:jumpy
(transplanted Yankee here, I do understand)

Back
Top Bottom