Splayed leg problem

ChicksnMore

😉
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Jul 1, 2013
Arizona
I just got a little peachick tonight with a splayed leg and I've never worked with this before. I made a splint out of a cut up nerf bullet...they're basically a foam tube. I cut a length just big enough to go from the ankle to barely over the leg joint, then I opened the tube length wise and used a band aid to hold it closed.

This is what it looks like on....sorry I didn't get pictures of before. The leg was splayed out to the side and the chick couldn't stand. It was using its joint to hold its weight and the joint felt popped out.
If I understand correctly, it was like that for a couple of days with help being given to try to correct the problem.
When I take the brace off, his joint seems to stay popped into the right position for a bit so I do think the brace is keeping it aligned right.

Does this look/sound like it should work to fix the chicks leg? I tried several other things I read about first and I was failing miserably at getting the joint to stay in the right position. Is this kind of treatment correct for this kind of problem or is there something different I should do since its definitely the chicks joint thats not right. The joint just doesn't line up properly...the lower bone turns the wrong way, like the tendons aren't working right. Its easy to make it turn the right way, and it doesn't hurt the chick to straighten it...it just pops apart though if the chick tries to stand on it unless it has support it keep it aligned right. I'm used to splayed leg in parrots being from sitting on slick surfaces etc...this is definitely not that kinda splayed leg. Is this joint problem what typically causes splayed legs in peachicks and does it usually heal ok with the right support?

Poor cutie
hugs.gif

We seem to have a lot of peapeople experienced with chick leg and foot problems, so I'm sure they will have some advice for you on this little guy...

*In the meantime, you might check out FBC's approach to this issue (or a related issue):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/896809/fixing-splayed-legs

Last edited:
I found the clipping below on slipped tendons...if this info is correct, then it wouldn't be a slipped tendon because theres no swelling, no flat area and the leg moves easily into the right position with no pain to the bird...it just doesn't stay there if the chick uses it.

Hrmm...unless the swelling etc changes after a couple of days in a slipped position....I'll see if I can find anything about that.

Fix Slipped Achilles Tendon in Hock Joint

• Use to treat Slipped Achilles Tendon (tendon that runs down through the groove on the back of a chick's hock has slipped out of place off to the side). If a leg has this problem, the joint will look swollen and the back of the hock will look flat (Compare to other leg to double-check). The chick can't straighten its leg if this is what's wrong with it.
  • Gently pull the upper part of chick's leg a bit behind normal position and then carefully straighten the leg as though chick were stretching its leg back. The tendon should pop back into place pretty easily and cause little if any pain.
    • Some sources recommend pushing the tendon back in place just by pressing with your finger. However, stretching the leg back is a much less painful method.
  • Swelling on hock:
    • If infection is part of what is causing joint to swell, you will find pus. Recovery would be very difficult and the chick should probably be put down.
    • If it is just caused by displacement, swelling will go down in 2-4 days.
  • Put the chick in a Chick Chair and/or put its leg in a cast (such as one made from a drinking straw) for a few days (~5) while re-alignment stabilizes.
    • It is important that the legs not be able to touch the ground at all. The chick needs to hang with them bent and be discouraged from using its legs until the tendon has stretched and adjusted back to the right place and shape.
  • Note: It may take a few days for the groove to be fully developed on a young chick and you may have to fix the tendon more than once.
  • If there is pus in the joint,
  • [More info needed.]

If the tendon moves out of the middle of the hock joint I think that is most likely a slipped tendon. I was able to fix mine by making a chick sling for it.

-Kathy

I think you're right about the tendon...the more I read the more it sounds like it regardless of swelling etc.

How did you make the sling Kathy? My youngest daughters already in love with it so I better do my very best to help it!

I take it its not enough to just keep the joint in the right position...it needs to be off its feet too?

I think you're right about the tendon...the more I read the more it sounds like it regardless of swelling etc.

How did you make the sling Kathy? My youngest daughters already in love with it so I better do my very best to help it!

I take it its not enough to just keep the joint in the right position...it needs to be off its feet too?

I found that while in the sling with a simple hobble it stayed in place. I'm on the stupid iPad now, so can't post any chick sling pictures.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom