Shipped hatchery chicks covered in putrid body fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaw-Liga

🐝🐓🌼
May 3, 2022
Louisiana
Issue: I picked up shipment of chicks from the post office this morning, about two hours ago. Immediately you could smell that one of the chicks was dead. When I got home and opened the box, there was indeed one dead chick - it looked like it had gotten smashed into the box corner during shipping and had a broken leg with a bone sticking out. There is body fluid in the box and wet and dry on each of the remaining chicks. One is covered head to toe :( They smell putrid. Shipping took two days, so the amount of time that they've been exposed to the fluid is unknown.

Question: How do I clean them up? How soon should I clean them up - as in should I wait a few hours so they're not overwhelmed by impending clean-up on top of the journey here? Soap and warm water in the sink and blow dry them? If so, should I use baby shampoo (some of them have it on their faces and around their eyes)? Has this happened to anyone else? I'm open to any and all suggestions!

*** These chicks are supposed to go under broody hen who hatched four chicks yesterday. I was going to give her the hatchery chicks tonight. I'm obviously concerned about exposing mama and the chicks to the contamination. ***

Other:
These are Ameraucana chicks. They are doing okay in the brooder and are eating and drinking and most have pooped. They have food and electrolyte water and I Nutri-drenched a few of them. They're in a plastic box brooder under a heat lamp, I am setting up a dog crate with a heating pad warmer for when they're clean. The broody hen and her chicks are currently in a dog crate brooder inside the chicken coop, everyone is doing well.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Lor
I would use a warm washcloth to wash as much off as possible before putting them back under the lamp to dry off. Don't get them soaking wet, just dampish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom