Roo? What kind?

EdgeC

Songster
Aug 5, 2023
I have a run of what was supposed to be 8 RIR, 3 Starlight Green Egger and 3 ISA Browns.

All were supposed to be pullet, mistakes happen. But this one looks nothing like the rest and its comb is growing faster than the others. I am not sure how old they were when I purchased them at Tractor supply (hoover?) hatchery... so 4-6 weeks old?

So what kind of chicken is it and is it a roo?
roomaybe.jpg

Looks like a rooster. The breed could be a legbar
Don't think it would be a male Starlight green egger? Their pattern looked similar just a little more brown.

Not saying the hatchery does not have them, but TSC did not carry legbar.

Edit: Went and counted... looks like I still had 3 Starlight green egger look alikes... So maybe it got mixed in with the ISA browns? I am not sure cause my RIR does not have orange legs and I saw a older topic claiming they were supposed to have Bright orange and not pale legs.

Last edited:
sorry, I'm not sure of the breed. I do know that if he is a Starlight, breeding him with a brown egg layer will get you olive eggers!
That would be cool, would put me at a ratio of 2:20 (roo to hen) I would prob need more females if I wanted to breed him/he is actually a starlight. Otherwise he will go to the dinner table. Lets hope he has desirable traits. Atm he is beautiful (IMHO)

Back
Top Bottom