Pipd's Peeps!

Another loss today, ugh. Troll hadn't been acting himself since the hawk attack on Monday. He and his brothers were safe and secure in their pen, but I guess it stressed him enough anyway that he couldn't take it. He was laying limp in their pen this morning so I brought him inside to see if he'd recover in the warmth, but he passed on not long afterward. 😔 Poor boy. He was a beautiful little dude.

View attachment 2967965
What a cutie. Sorry for the loss. I didn't know stress could kill a chicken.

What a cutie. Sorry for the loss. I didn't know stress could kill a chicken.

It's not unheard of, though I'm reasonably sure there's usually actually an underlying cause that the stress exacerbates to cause the death. For instance, a hawk attack years ago caused my weak-hearted Bielefelder hen, Violet, to die of heart failure. Troll didn't exhibit many symptoms other than being pale and just not seeming himself since the event on Monday, and he was otherwise healthy until then, so I can only guess. :hmm

I'm so sorry! He was truly stunning!

Thank you, he really was a gorgeous little guy. 💔

It's not unheard of, though I'm reasonably sure there's usually actually an underlying cause that the stress exacerbates to cause the death. For instance, a hawk attack years ago caused my weak-hearted Bielefelder hen, Violet, to die of heart failure. Troll didn't exhibit many symptoms other than being pale and just not seeming himself since the event on Monday, and he was otherwise healthy until then, so I can only guess. :hmm

Thank you, he really was a gorgeous little guy. 💔
I actually tried drawing him a few weejs ago❤️

Aww, I'd love to see it if you wouldn't mind sharing ❤️ (But no pressure if you'd rather not, I totally understand!)
Okay. This is one of my best sketches. I'm totally useless with a pencil🤣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220122_131254.jpg
    Screenshot_20220122_131254.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 3
Harriet laid her first egg today!! :wee I finally have a true blue egg layer again! I also strongly suspect that one or both of the Blue Orpington girls is laying as well, but I'm not 100% sure. I've been finding smallish brown eggs in the dropping tray that they sleep over for a week or two now.

This is Harriet's egg on top and one of the suspected Blue Orp eggs below--yes, the tiny Legbar's egg is bigger than the eggs I suspect came from the giant Orpington girls 🤣 The color washed out a bit, but this is as close as I could get to how blue Hare's egg is :love

1643157375637.png

Another shot with Harriet's egg and suspected Orp egg along with two large fowl hens' eggs (a white egg from one of the Dorking girls and a green egg from Easter-egger Endymion) and a larger bantam egg (a drab green one from Ganymede) :

1643157520390.png

If I'm correct about the brown eggs, that means that all the Meyer pullets from July are laying, and the silkied Cochin girls who hatched back in May... are not laying. They are prissy, froofy, showy birds and not egg layers, though, I guess. :p

It is entirely possible that Armada (or was it Amaretto? They're so hard to tell apart!) came back into lay and decided to lay in a really weird spot for her... but I do really think that these eggs are from one or both of the Orps.

Edited because grammar is not my strong suit tonight 🤣

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom