Pipd's Peeps!

I am so sorry, DD! I was so worn out, I fell asleep right after cropping everything! :th

Like last time, I took way too many pictures and they won't all fit in one post. :p I aimed for more unusual birds than what I usually take pictures of... but there are still lots of OEGBs, lots of Moderns, and lots of call ducks. :oops: I can't help myself, okay? :lol: So, I'll put those and the events and such in the second post, just as a means of splitting things up. Here's the rest of them for the time being! Loooots of pictures, so they're thumbnail sized to prevent loading issues for those of us out in the boonies with poor connections. :p I'll make note of how they were judged if I remember, but a lot of them hadn't been judged yet by the time we went through there, and a few aisles were blocked for judging so I didn't get the chance to take pictures of some of them.

Ameraucana bantams! :love First was a gorgeous, heavily-laced Blue female, then a Silver female who didn't want anything to do with me, and finally a Wheaten female who was curious, but a bit reserved. :love

View attachment 1955868 View attachment 1955869 View attachment 1955870

Large fowl Ameraucana. This one was labelled as 'Mottled', but doesn't look like the project mottleds I've seen before... Not sure if that's changed since then. If I had to guess, she looks like an Exchequer-type pattern to me (dominant white over mottled). Still, absolutely stunning! :love

View attachment 1955871

Appenzeller Spitzhauben. This was a gold-spangled female. I love the hairdo. :love

View attachment 1955872

True Araucana, a female in black. She kind of 'blew out' at the show and was in no mood for pictures. :gig

View attachment 1955873

Aseel. This is a Wheaten male. He looked a rather lot like a dinosaur. :eek:

View attachment 1955874

Silver Double-Laced Barnevelder bantam. Oh, sakes, I love this color!! :love :love Too bad she wouldn't turn so that was the best I could do of her, picture-wise.

View attachment 1955875

Dark Brahma female, clearly over this whole showing thing and just having a nap at this point. :p

View attachment 1955876

Breda! I'd never seen them in person before! WOW!! :eek: These were both Cuckoo, the first female and the second male.

View attachment 1955877 View attachment 1955878

Cochin bantams! :D First was a Silver Blue (or maybe Blue Birchen; they're the same color, I just don't remember what they called her :oops: ), then a frizzled Mottled hen, and a Splash hen who was just gorgeous!! View attachment 1955919

View attachment 1955879 View attachment 1955881 View attachment 1955882

Large fowl Blue Laced Red Cornish. :love She also looked like a dinosaur!

View attachment 1955884

Ko Shamo bantam, another breed I'd never seen in person! They were pretty cute, despite being very dinosaur-like as well. :p This was a Wheaten hen.

View attachment 1955885

Legbars. First one was labeled as Golden Crele, which is my personal preference for Legbar color. :love The other two were creams, but inconsistent in color. I like the darker crest, but the first cream female (who was standing awkwardly :rolleyes: ) was very pretty, too. :love

View attachment 1955886 View attachment 1955888 View attachment 1955889

Single Comb Dark Leghorn bantam hen. Wow. :love That's all I've got.

View attachment 1955890

Blue Magpie duck. Big girl! :love I believe she was reserve in variety, but I thought she was the prettiest. :lol:

View attachment 1955891

Wheaten Marans rooster. He was very relaxed during the show and having a bath. :gig

View attachment 1955892

Naked Neck bantams! :love EEK, I can't help myself on them, either! First is Black and second is Blue.

View attachment 1955893 View attachment 1955894

New Hampshire bantam. I don't think these had been judged just yet, but she sure was gorgeous! :love

View attachment 1955895

Phoenix. Both are silver, but the first one was off-color. I still thought she was quite pretty, a lot like my Dark Gray Dorking hens. Second one was best of variety if I remember correctly and had such wicked eyes!! :love

View attachment 1955896 View attachment 1955897

Barred Plymouth Rock bantams. First was a hen, and I feel like she placed well but I don't remember for sure. Second was two boys trying to fight through the bars. :rolleyes:

View attachment 1955898 View attachment 1955899

Polish. I'm not a huge Polish fan, but some of them were pretty. :D First two are frizzled, obviously. First is a Tolbunt, then a White. The smooths are another Tolbunt and a White Crowned Black. He was the only male I got good pictures of in the Polish, and WOW did he have quite the hairdo!! :eek:

View attachment 1955900 View attachment 1955901 View attachment 1955902 View attachment 1955903

Rosecomb bantams. I always forget how many colors they come in! In order, these are a Black Breasted Red female (who was very curious :love ), a Blue Brassy Back female, a Blue Golden Duckwing male, a Blue Red male, and finally, a Buff Columbian female. The Buff Columbians that were there seemed super pale for buffs, that's not just the lighting.

View attachment 1955904 View attachment 1955905 View attachment 1955906 View attachment 1955907 View attachment 1955908

Sebrights! :love A Golden male and a Silver female. Wow!!

View attachment 1955909 View attachment 1955910

Silkied Black Serama hen. :love :love I love those silkied feathers!!

View attachment 1955911

This Silkie hen looked Wheaten to me, but was labeled with a super long and complicated name: Porcelain Blue Cream. :confused:

View attachment 1955912

Swedish Flower Hen! I couldn't believe my eyes with these birds!! This hen was definitely the prettiest there! View attachment 1955919 The white and red hen in the background was also a Swedish Flower Hen.

View attachment 1955913

A couple turkeys. The first was Buff and I honestly don't remember if it was male or female. I'm not good with turkeys. :oops: But that pattern was super pretty! I wish he/she would have held still so I could have captured it better! Second was a Sweetgrass tom in full glory. He gobbled a couple times while I was taking pictures, too. :lol:

View attachment 1955914 View attachment 1955915

Last in this post is a Welsummer hen. I think she was over the whole showing thing, too. :p

View attachment 1955916

More pictures coming up in the next post! :D
I don’t know how judges do it. They are all my favorite

Well, holy SNOW! :eek: I guess winter is here for us a bit early! It seems like we usually get a snow in November, but not usually an accumulation like this! It's still coming down, too!

View attachment 1956987

Of course, the girls are having none of it, as is the usual. :rolleyes:

View attachment 1956974 View attachment 1956975

The pullets are handling it pretty well, though! They don't want to walk in it, but other than that, there doesn't seem to be much panic among them. :p Here's Mona, frozen in time as the snow came down on her.

View attachment 1956981

She and the OEGBs were hiding out under the boat while the rest of the flock were up at the coop. Lookit my poor teeny-tinies hiding under there! :love

View attachment 1956980 View attachment 1956982 View attachment 1956983 View attachment 1956984

After some encouragement, I managed to get them back to the coop, though I did take pity on my poor, precious little OEGB girls and carried them back. :love :love Rigel was too proud to be carried, so he walked, leaving a trail of teeny-tiny footprints behind.

View attachment 1956985

Meanwhile, Fifi stayed up on the deck, but she wasn't necessarily shying away from the snow, as evidenced by the dusting on her back. :p

View attachment 1956977

Oh, that beard! :love

View attachment 1956976

Ganymede doesn't care in the least. She glowered at me from the deck...

View attachment 1956979

...Then glowered at me from outside. :rolleyes: Grouch!

View attachment 1956978

Once she was done with her excursion and had returned to the coop, I went ahead and closed the deck up to stop the snow from blowing in as badly. No one seemed too upset by that. :p So, on the plus side I don't have to worry about lockup tonight. :D
Well, holy SNOW! :eek: I guess winter is here for us a bit early! It seems like we usually get a snow in November, but not usually an accumulation like this! It's still coming down, too!

View attachment 1956987

The pullets are handling it pretty well, though! They don't want to walk in it, but other than that, there doesn't seem to be much panic among them. :p Here's Mona, frozen in time as the snow came down on her.

View attachment 1956981

She and the OEGBs were hiding out under the boat while the rest of the flock were up at the coop. Lookit my poor teeny-tinies hiding under there! :love

View attachment 1956980 View attachment 1956982 View attachment 1956983 View attachment 1956984

After some encouragement, I managed to get them back to the coop, though I did take pity on my poor, precious little OEGB girls and carried them back. :love :love Rigel was too proud to be carried, so he walked, leaving a trail of teeny-tiny footprints behind.

View attachment 1956985

Meanwhile, Fifi stayed up on the deck, but she wasn't necessarily shying away from the snow, as evidenced by the dusting on her back. :p

View attachment 1956977

View attachment 1956976

View attachment 1956979

View attachment 1956978

Once she was done with her excursion and had returned to the coop, I went ahead and closed the deck up to stop the snow from blowing in as badly. No one seemed too upset by that. :p So, on the plus side I don't have to worry about lockup tonight. :D

View attachment 1956987

View attachment 1956981

View attachment 1956985

View attachment 1956977

View attachment 1956976

View attachment 1956979

View attachment 1956978

View attachment 1956987

View attachment 1956981

View attachment 1956985

View attachment 1956977

View attachment 1956976

View attachment 1956979

View attachment 1956978

I love all your birds but I think I’d steal Fifi!!

Haha, yup, me three with Indiana. :D

Well, so far we're up to four birds inside. I checked in on everyone and Winston and Sybil were dusky-combed, so in they came. Vega and Altair are snuggled deep in the bloomers of a giant, fluffy Cochin and seem okay, and the three OEGB cockerels don't seem too bothered by the cold so far despite not being buried in fluff like their sisters. :fl I may bring the two pullets in anyway just so I can sleep tonight. We're not as cold as we're expected to be yet and it's already pretty bitter... If anything happened to either of those two because I decided to chance it, I'd just be so heartbroken. :hmm
I think my Cochin bantams' true purpose is keeping the entire flock warm. They do a great job of it and everyone snuggles close! I think when they go into the coop at night...the bantams' version of "I got shotgun..." is actually getting a spot next to a Cochin!

I love all your birds but I think I’d steal Fifi!!

Hey, welcome to the thread! :frow

Fifi is a treasure for sure! Love that bird and her big ol' beard! :love :love

I think my Cochin bantams' true purpose is keeping the entire flock warm. They do a great job of it and everyone snuggles close! I think when they go into the coop at night...the bantams' version of "I got shotgun..." is actually getting a spot next to a Cochin!

:gig I have large fowl and bantam Cochins, and both are fluffy, but those LFs have bloomers that won't quit! They usually get birds tucked on either side of them when it's cold because they've got plenty of fluff to share. Sometimes, one lucky bird will get the spot between them when they perch together. It's like a disappearing act, vanishing into the Cochin fluff! :lol:

So, it's been a long morning here! :th Long story short, all the OEGBs and Scooter (my only Sebright) are in.

We didn't get nearly as cold as we were predicted (I think it stopped at 9° F as the lowest), but I guess that was cold enough. Just 10° this morning when I went out to the birds, and without the fluffies around them, the OEGB boys were swaying a bit. So, in they came, too. Unfortunately, the only cages I had available were single-sized, so two of those boys are now in the bigger pen (where the molters were last time) in my bedroom. :th Oh, joy!

Scooter... She's not doing so well. I didn't even think to check her last night when I was bringing birds in, as she sleeps in the rafters next to the EEs, and I'm kicking myself for it now. This morning, she was huddled, swaying, and letting her wings droop. :( She's sounding a bit congested, too, and very sleepy even inside in the warmth, so something more is going on here. I have her on Denagard for the time being, as that treats respiratory illness, and hoping she pulls through. :fl

Anyway, it's been a lot of up and down stairs for me, between the birds in the basement and the birds on the top floor in my room... It's about 9:30 in the morning and I'm already wiped out. :th Gonna have a long day running out to check water throughout the day, too. Ugh, winter! :barnie

So, it's been a long morning here! :th Long story short, all the OEGBs and Scooter (my only Sebright) are in.

We didn't get nearly as cold as we were predicted (I think it stopped at 9° F as the lowest), but I guess that was cold enough. Just 10° this morning when I went out to the birds, and without the fluffies around them, the OEGB boys were swaying a bit. So, in they came, too. Unfortunately, the only cages I had available were single-sized, so two of those boys are now in the bigger pen (where the molters were last time) in my bedroom. :th Oh, joy!

Scooter... She's not doing so well. I didn't even think to check her last night when I was bringing birds in, as she sleeps in the rafters next to the EEs, and I'm kicking myself for it now. This morning, she was huddled, swaying, and letting her wings droop. :( She's sounding a bit congested, too, and very sleepy even inside in the warmth, so something more is going on here. I have her on Denagard for the time being, as that treats respiratory illness, and hoping she pulls through. :fl

Anyway, it's been a lot of up and down stairs for me, between the birds in the basement and the birds on the top floor in my room... It's about 9:30 in the morning and I'm already wiped out. :th Gonna have a long day running out to check water throughout the day, too. Ugh, winter! :barnie
Health issues seem worse this time of year!

I need to worm my hens soon

Hey, welcome to the thread! :frow

Fifi is a treasure for sure! Love that bird and her big ol' beard! :love :love

It seems you have an infinite amount of reading material and photos for me to look at!! I like how much you love your birds and you are so knowledgeable! And how cool that your birds have their own pages--they deserve all the attention! I will try and get mine on here, too.

Fifi is most definitely a treasure. So I'm guessing Americauna or EE? I'm very new to both of those breeds but I love their beards and intelligent/snuggly look!

You know which birds are a real surprise to me? My rosecombs. They are soooooo sweet. Everything I read about them made them sound very flighty and just show birds. They are very inquisitive and love attention. Also beautiful! They seem dainty and fragile but they don't actually act that way. It was very hard to rehome the boys but I'm just loving hearing about them from their new mom. They have adapted well to farm life!

:gig I have large fowl and bantam Cochins, and both are fluffy, but those LFs have bloomers that won't quit! They usually get birds tucked on either side of them when it's cold because they've got plenty of fluff to share. Sometimes, one lucky bird will get the spot between them when they perch together. It's like a disappearing act, vanishing into the Cochin fluff! :lol:

I'm going to start calling them "bloomers," too! I check on the birds every night (since they still are relatively new to roosting!) and it's so cute to see Cochins roosting with tiny birds popping out of their sides! They have all been roosting now (thank goodness) but the Cochins were the last to roost. I was worried they weren't coordinated enough! As it is I'm installing lower branches for them in the run because they can't fly up to the high ones and it's so sad to see when they try and fail. Just love my Cochins! I named them Hobbit names with their chubbiness, happy personality and furry feet! I bet the LF Cochins are just a whole lot more to love! Every flock deserves some Cochins!

I do wonder about pecking order with my Cochins. So far pecking order is hard for me to see...they all act like siblings and any little arguments are over as soon as they started. I think the Cochins and Sebrights will eventually be at the head of the pecking order if things get pushy--but those birds are very loved by my other birds...The Sebrights and Cochins are just more assertive!

My D'Uccle cockerel is such a serious and gentle guy (still not showing any interest in mating the girls at 18 weeks!). He does get respect but it takes only his body language and glares to command respect. He worries over the flock while the Dutch cockerel just parties all the time! The two of them get a long great 99% of the time. Once in awhile I will see the D'Uccle chase the Dutch cockerel but he doesn't even peck him!

The flock of boys I kept got along great but with them, it was clear that the biggest Cochin was in charge. I wonder if you can avoid conflict by just always having enough space and access to multiple food sources. I'd love for them to always be good to each other! I hear about LF flocks having really nasty pecking orders.

We are sending healing thoughts to Scooter. I think drastic temperature changes are hard on everyone! I hope she responds quickly to your care. Wishing you calm weather and easier days to come! As fun as a house full of birds is, I know it's also ten times the work!

It seems you have an infinite amount of reading material and photos for me to look at!! I like how much you love your birds and you are so knowledgeable! And how cool that your birds have their own pages--they deserve all the attention! I will try and get mine on here, too.

Aw, shucks!
aw shucks.gif
I really need to work on their pages, though! I have a bunch of old ones, but most of my current flock actually don't have their own pages!

Let me know when you get your birds up, too! :pop

Fifi is most definitely a treasure. So I'm guessing Americauna or EE? I'm very new to both of those breeds but I love their beards and intelligent/snuggly look!

You know which birds are a real surprise to me? My rosecombs. They are soooooo sweet. Everything I read about them made them sound very flighty and just show birds. They are very inquisitive and love attention. Also beautiful! They seem dainty and fragile but they don't actually act that way. It was very hard to rehome the boys but I'm just loving hearing about them from their new mom. They have adapted well to farm life!

Fifi's an Easter-egger. :) They are one of my favorite groups of birds for feather and egg colors.

Rosecombs are one I don't have much experience with, but they are so gorgeous! :love I took a ton of pictures of Rosecombs at the Ohio National, there were just so many of them and so beautiful. :love Glad your guys have found such a good home!

I'm going to start calling them "bloomers," too! I check on the birds every night (since they still are relatively new to roosting!) and it's so cute to see Cochins roosting with tiny birds popping out of their sides! They have all been roosting now (thank goodness) but the Cochins were the last to roost. I was worried they weren't coordinated enough! As it is I'm installing lower branches for them in the run because they can't fly up to the high ones and it's so sad to see when they try and fail. Just love my Cochins! I named them Hobbit names with their chubbiness, happy personality and furry feet! I bet the LF Cochins are just a whole lot more to love! Every flock deserves some Cochins!

100% agree! Love my Cochins! :love The LF girls seem more laid back than the bantams to me, while those bantams are feisty. It may be because I have a mixed flock of bantams and LF, but the bantam Cochins act like they believe they're every bit as big as the LF girls. It's so funny to see them puff out their chests and just dare one of the bigger birds to challenge them, and then on top of that to see the bigger birds back down. :gig

I've noticed in the past, too, that they're not exactly built for flying, those round birdies. :p

I do wonder about pecking order with my Cochins. So far pecking order is hard for me to see...they all act like siblings and any little arguments are over as soon as they started. I think the Cochins and Sebrights will eventually be at the head of the pecking order if things get pushy--but those birds are very loved by my other birds...The Sebrights and Cochins are just more assertive!

My D'Uccle cockerel is such a serious and gentle guy (still not showing any interest in mating the girls at 18 weeks!). He does get respect but it takes only his body language and glares to command respect. He worries over the flock while the Dutch cockerel just parties all the time! The two of them get a long great 99% of the time. Once in awhile I will see the D'Uccle chase the Dutch cockerel but he doesn't even peck him!

The flock of boys I kept got along great but with them, it was clear that the biggest Cochin was in charge. I wonder if you can avoid conflict by just always having enough space and access to multiple food sources. I'd love for them to always be good to each other! I hear about LF flocks having really nasty pecking orders.

Pecking order can be quite subtle, especially in a young flock that was raised together. You'll probably eventually notice that some birds hang back while others are eating or drinking, but that may be all you notice. Depends on the birds, of course! :) I think you're right, though, that plenty of space and multiple food and water sources are key to keep pecking order squabbles down.

I've seen it claimed a couple times on the bantam thread, but honestly, I've not noticed any more pecking order drama from my LFs than from my bantams. :idunno Some of them are very laid back and don't pay much attention to the pecking order, and some just have something to prove and get feisty with others for no apparent reason. That goes for both LF and bantams! ;) Right now, with the snow, everyone's locked in all day and my flock gets along fine, no real squabbles or anything other than reminding the youngsters (bantam and LF) to stay out of the way. The worst I see from any of them is when they're nesting and don't want to share boxes, and that's mostly the bantams screeching at each other over who gets which box. :gig

We are sending healing thoughts to Scooter. I think drastic temperature changes are hard on everyone! I hope she responds quickly to your care. Wishing you calm weather and easier days to come! As fun as a house full of birds is, I know it's also ten times the work!

She's doing much better as of this evening, thankfully!
forehead wipe whew.gif
I really wasn't sure she would pull through in the shape she was this morning! She still sounds congested, but she's actually been pretty perky otherwise, eating and drinking well!

Oh, man, I felt all 10 times the work, too! Up the stairs, down the stairs, forgot something so back up the stairs, checking all the food and water outside in between... :th It's supposed to be a bit warmer by the weekend, so I'm hoping we'll be set to go back outside by then. :fl

Back
Top Bottom