Pipd's Peeps!

Pics
Yay for the possibility of more chicks in spring! Husband says we can get three more (so limiting). We will probably get an Australorp, husband wants a blue or lavender bird, prob an Orp, he doesn't want anything bearded but if say Meyer announced they were carrying Isbars... I'm torn I would really like a nice solid red hen but RIR have a certain reputation and we had bad luck with our Buckeye... We both also like the idea of a Sussex but he doesn't like the look of the speckles. Of course if they started selling Favaucanas then all bets are off. I know I could order from MPC but I really prefer being able to pick them up. Have you shown your mom the Silver Penciled Rocks?

I recommend cochins and orpingtons!  Right now I've got a large black cochin pullet who is really shaping up nice <3 then I've got two bantam cochin roos, a birchen, and a blue, and I also have a large black cochin baby roo <33 he is so friendly and likes to be held when I go sit with them before bed.
And then I've got a assortment of Orps, but I must say a blue or well bred splash are very beautiful. Right now I've got 2 blues(one has English blood), 2 blacks, 2 splash, 5 buffs-never really liked them but one of the pullets is very friendly-, a Jubilee, and a Partridge who loves her food and is the first to take a bite of anything food looking.
...I have a lot of birds. I would have more if it wasn't for the avian influenza. 

Crashie looks like he is going into his awkward baby stage... I wonder how long it will be until he shapes up into a fine young duck.

Oh, I love Cochins! I had a bantam Cochin rooster that was just such a great flock rooster. He sadly got grabbed by a raccoon last year, and I haven't had the chance to get another Cochin since, which was why they made my tentative list, there. :D

And Orpingtons, I see a lot of good reviews for them but I've never had one. Buff is probably the color I'd go for simply because the other colors at Meyer Hatchery are so much more expensive... :/ I'd love a Lavender one, though! :drool

I'd have more birds if it weren't for coops costing money. :lol: I only have 38 chickens, and 11 Guineas, and 2 ducks, and a duckling... :oops:

Yay for the possibility of more chicks in spring! Husband says we can get three more (so limiting). We will probably get an Australorp, husband wants a blue or lavender bird, prob an Orp, he doesn't want anything bearded but if say Meyer announced they were carrying Isbars... I'm torn I would really like a nice solid red hen but RIR have a certain reputation and we had bad luck with our Buckeye... We both also like the idea of a Sussex but he doesn't like the look of the speckles. Of course if they started selling Favaucanas then all bets are off. I know I could order from MPC but I really prefer being able to pick them up. Have you shown your mom the Silver Penciled Rocks?

Yeah, I'm thinking 4, 5 at the most. Definitely 2 or 3 Dorkings, so 2 or 3 other breeds as well. The problem is narrowing it down...

I would wet myself for Isbars! :lol: Unless they overprice them like the Legbars! Your DH has such strange rules. Why would anyone turn down a bird based on his or her facial hair?!

Agh, I forgot about the silver penciled Plymouth Rocks! :drool I kind of want an EE or OE because my EEs are getting older and laying fewer of their pretty blue and green eggs, but I've seen some people say that their Meyer EEs lay brown eggs, in which case I'd rather just get a Cochin, Orpington, or Plymouth Rock... So hard to choose... All I know is that I don't want anything that's going to cost me $20 or more for just one chick!

Last edited:
Oh, I love Cochins! I had a bantam Cochin rooster that was just such a great flock rooster. He sadly got grabbed by a raccoon last year, and I haven't had the chance to get another Cochin since, which was why they made my tentative list, there.
big_smile.png

And Orpingtons, I see a lot of good reviews for them but I've never had one. Buff is probably the color I'd go for simply because the other colors at Meyer Hatchery are so much more expensive...
hmm.png
I'd love a Lavender one, though!
droolin.gif

I'd have more birds if it weren't for coops costing money.
lol.png
I only have 38 chickens, and 11 Guineas, and 2 ducks, and a duckling...
hide.gif

Yeah, I'm thinking 4, 5 at the most. Definitely 2 or 3 Dorkings, so 2 or 3 other breeds as well. The problem is narrowing it down...
I remember reading about him
hugs.gif

My problem with the buffs is that they are so loud, every single one I've had., even my G2 hen who's mom was buff. But they are my dad's favorite bird so I can't avoid them magically showing up when we are at a feed store.
Ikr? I wish they weren't so much. I was just lucky and someone at my local Chickenstock had some for much cheaper. A Lavender would look good in my flock.

Coops are annoying, I have a like 80 year old rabbit and chicken coop that I fixed up where I live to house them until they get bigger. Then I have a massive loafing shed that will be put together, and my dad wan't some breeding pens(so do I but he doesn't know that). I've got a ton of them x.x
Dorkings are so cute looking
love.gif

And Orpingtons, I see a lot of good reviews for them but I've never had one. Buff is probably the color I'd go for simply because the other colors at Meyer Hatchery are so much more expensive...
hmm.png
I'd love a Lavender one, though!
droolin.gif

I'd have more birds if it weren't for coops costing money.
lol.png
I only have 38 chickens, and 11 Guineas, and 2 ducks, and a duckling...
hide.gif

I would wet myself for Isbars!
lol.png
Unless they overprice them like the Legbars! Your DH has such strange rules. Why would anyone turn down a bird based on his or her facial hair?!
Agh, I forgot about the silver penciled Plymouth Rocks!
droolin.gif
I kind of want an EE or OE because my EEs are getting older and laying fewer of their pretty blue and green eggs, but I've seen some people say that their Meyer EEs lay brown eggs, in which case I'd rather just get a Cochin, Orpington, or Plymouth Rock... So hard to choose... All I know is that I don't want anything that's going to cost me $20 or more for just one chick!
I hear you with the price. We haven't bought any chicks over $7 so far but obviously the blue or lav will change that. We love our Buff Orp, she's a snuggle monster. I wouldn't say they are rules so much as preferences. I'm free to pick out whatever breed I want, but we each only get one individual choice a year. I almost got a Salmon Faverolles the first year but chose a BCMs instead. My son picked out an EE the first year and it just happened to end up clean faced (she lays a lovely blue-green egg btw). He prefers cool colors, not to busy looking (in pattern) and clean faced. I prefer warm colors. Shrug.

I remember reading about him :hugs

My problem with the buffs is that they are so loud, every single one I've had., even my G2 hen who's mom was buff. But they are my dad's favorite bird so I can't avoid them magically showing up when we are at a feed store.
Ikr? I wish they weren't so much. I was just lucky and someone at my local Chickenstock had some for much cheaper. A Lavender would look good in my flock.

Coops are annoying, I have a like 80 year old rabbit and chicken coop that I fixed up where I live to house them until they get bigger. Then I have a massive loafing shed that will be put together, and my dad wan't some breeding pens(so do I but he doesn't know that). I've got a ton of them x.x
Dorkings are so cute looking :love

I don't mind volume--nothing is too loud once you've owned a few Guinea fowl! :lol: The feed store is way too tempting--luckily now I've been spoiled by actually having a wide variety of choices in breeds, so I never am tempted--except by the Easter-egger babies. Oh, those little beards! :love

The Dorkings say thanks! :D Actually, the Dorkings say, "Where are my cuddles?" ...Okay, they're probably saying, "Where's my food?" :oops:

Orpingtons are great! Mine was a really great bird. She was my favorite, actially. Crashie is really starting to feather out.

:hugs Sorry for your loss. It's so hard to lose favorites.

He is, it's amazing! And he's losing baby fluff like a little madman! Every bath time, he loses clumps of it! We're still waiting to see wing feathers, though. He's all tail feathers and chest feathers at the moment.

I hear you with the price.  We haven't bought any chicks over $7 so far but obviously the blue or lav will change that.  We love our Buff Orp, she's a snuggle monster.  I wouldn't say they are rules so much as preferences.  I'm free to pick out whatever breed I want, but we each only get one individual choice a year.  I almost got a Salmon Faverolles the first year but chose a BCMs instead.  My son picked out an EE  the first year and it just happened to end up clean faced (she lays a lovely blue-green egg btw).  He prefers cool colors, not to busy looking (in pattern) and clean faced.  I prefer warm colors.  Shrug.

I think the Marans were the most expensive chicks I've gotten from them, aren't they about $10? That's about my upper limit, I think! The Salmon Faverolles are very tempting, especially since our zoo has bantam Salmon Faverolles and they are the prettiest little things with the chubbiest little cheeks! :love I have a hard choice ahead of me, narrowing down the numbers...

I understand preferences, I was just messing with you. ;) Personally, I am put off by the breeds with the super large crests, and I can't stand breeds that have both large crests and beards. I like to be able to see their faces! That's why the only Silkies I have chosen to own are clean-faced ones. And I especially love silver patterns on my birds, like the Dorkings. :love

Speaking of Dorkings, they're the breed focus for the week (?) and, of course, I had to chime in about my girls. :D It took so much restraint not to go on and on and on, and upload tons and tons of pictures. :lol: That baby picture of theirs makes me that much more excited for the possibility of chicks next year, though! :love

Well, they are huge drama queens, they were the ones who always started the 'danger' call. The feed store is tempting, I don't have the money to order some so that's what I'm stuck with other then for the local people. I ended with 6 EEs, 5 are mine and 1 is my little brothers. They have to have that beard though!

...That doesn't sound very good, when my birds want food and my mom comes out there in her flip flops and shorts she becomes the food. They are trying to turn back into dinosaurs so they can star in the next Jurassic Something movie.

He is, it's amazing! And he's losing baby fluff like a little madman! Every bath time, he loses clumps of it! We're still waiting to see wing feathers, though. He's all tail feathers and chest feathers at the moment.
I think the Marans were the most expensive chicks I've gotten from them, aren't they about $10? That's about my upper limit, I think! The Salmon Faverolles are very tempting, especially since our zoo has bantam Salmon Faverolles and they are the prettiest little things with the chubbiest little cheeks!
love.gif
I have a hard choice ahead of me, narrowing down the numbers...

I understand preferences, I was just messing with you.
wink.png
Personally, I am put off by the breeds with the super large crests, and I can't stand breeds that have both large crests and beards. I like to be able to see their faces! That's why the only Silkies I have chosen to own are clean-faced ones. And I especially love silver patterns on my birds, like the Dorkings.
love.gif

Speaking of Dorkings, they're the breed focus for the week (?) and, of course, I had to chime in about my girls.
big_smile.png
It took so much restraint not to go on and on and on, and upload tons and tons of pictures.
lol.png
That baby picture of theirs makes me that much more excited for the possibility of chicks next year, though!
love.gif

You're right the BCMs are $9.93. I would like a really nice light Salmon Faverolles but I don't like all the red and black in many of the hatchery quality ones. That's one reason why I like the Wheaten Favaucanas (they also remind me of Splash Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas too *drool*) Yes I saw the Dorking page as well and had to add pics of Victoria :)

:hugs Sorry for your loss.

Thank you, but it was best for her. (Sorry i butchered this quote, I was trying to shorten it!). Also Pipd, I thought I'd inform you that my two-month broodies have finally seen the light and decided to get their free loading butts off the nest. But alas, it was too good to be true. My naked neck jumped right in there as soon as the other two left. Sigh.

Well, they are huge drama queens, they were the ones who always started the 'danger' call. The feed store is tempting, I don't have the money to order some so that's what I'm stuck with other then for the local people. I ended with 6 EEs, 5 are mine and 1 is my little brothers. They have to have that beard though!

...That doesn't sound very good, when my birds want food and my mom comes out there in her flip flops and shorts she becomes the food. They are trying to turn back into dinosaurs so they can star in the next Jurassic Something movie. 

Dramaa... :lol: They'd fit in with my two white Easter-egger girls. Such drama queens. :rolleyes:

Yes, the beards! :love Especially when it's a super fluffy beard!! I mean, who could resist?

(Betty Beard, everyone.)

Oh, man, and that Jurassic comment reminds me of this picture I saw on Facebook the other day. I feel like this some days... Especially with treats in hand. :lol:

You're right the BCMs are $9.93.  I would like a really nice light Salmon Faverolles but I don't like all the red and black in many of the hatchery quality ones.  That's one reason why I like the Wheaten Favaucanas (they also remind me of Splash Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas too *drool*)  Yes I saw the Dorking page as well and had to add pics of Victoria :)

Oh, yes, and I know of at least one dark Faverolles from Meyer Hatchery, too. Although I don't mind the look, it's kind of like the brown egg from an Easter-egger thing; if I'm going to get a bird like that, I'd rather order something else and get what I really want, you know? I love Wheaten Ameraucanas as well, especially the blues. :love I read a while back that the difference between Wheaten and Salmon is a silver gene, although I think that wasn't the case in Faverolles as the males have too much color for being silver wheaten... (Just looked it up, it's red and silver on Wheaten. :) )

I love your pictures of Victoria. She always looks so nice, and never with a feather out of place! :love

Thank you, but it was best for her. (Sorry i butchered this quote, I was trying to shorten it!). Also Pipd, I thought I'd inform you that my two-month broodies have finally seen the light and decided to get their free loading butts off the nest. But alas, it was too good to be true. My naked neck jumped right in there as soon as the other two left. Sigh.

Haha, oh my goodness, the same thing happened here! I finally got Georgie to quit and Margaret's almost done, and now She Who Sleeps Standing Up the Partridge Plymouth Rock is going broody! :barnie

Back
Top Bottom