Pavestone Paver Base

HerdAndHome

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2024
I was given a coop, a dog lot run and a couple of bags of Pavestone Paver Base to use in the run on top of the earth floor. I'm not so sure about the paver base. There's a lot of sand (of course) and it comes with a handy "contains silica" warning. Also there are rock chips (of course.) I was told it would suffice and be useful as dry bath, grit, etc... Anyone use it in their run?
1000014715.jpg

Did they use it for their chickens?

Can't read the fine print on that pic.

What you need to be careful of with these products like road bases, paver base, paver sand etc... is that they sometimes have some cement, lime, recycled concrete or combination thereof in the, to help with some minor setting.
I can't view data as I'm in a different country. Geoblocking.
So unless you can be sure of the constituents, or it has been used safely for this purpose by others. For the sake of a few bucks I would avoid. Cement and lime may have adverse effects on your chooks skin, oils, and feathers.

It may be worry over nothing and just be sharp sand. Which would,d be perfect.

So im no help sorry. Just pointing out what you need to look for.

was told it would suffice and be useful as dry bath, grit
This is plain bad advice. Don't use it. It's design to compact. It should not be used for a dust bath or grit.
As long as the birds have access to dry dirt, they will build their own bath sites. And granite grit is dirt cheap. My birds are on grass but I keep a container of grit for them and they do consume it.

Did they use it for their chickens?

Can't read the fine print on that pic.

What you need to be careful of with these products like road bases, paver base, paver sand etc... is that they sometimes have some cement, lime, recycled concrete or combination thereof in the, to help with some minor setting.
I can't view data as I'm in a different country. Geoblocking.
So unless you can be sure of the constituents, or it has been used safely for this purpose by others. For the sake of a few bucks I would avoid. Cement and lime may have adverse effects on your chooks skin, oils, and feathers.

It may be worry over nothing and just be sharp sand. Which would,d be perfect.

So im no help sorry. Just pointing out what you need to look for.
My thoughts also. The people did use it with their hens. I would see it caked a little on the hen's feet after a rain. Can't say if it caused harm. I know that crystalline silica is pretty rough on skin and lungs. I think I'll save the paver base for making a patio to watch my happy hens.
Thanks for your input!

Back
Top Bottom