Owls In The Day Time

9 Little Dragons

Chirping
Aug 10, 2022
Slidell--Southern Coast Louisiana
So, I am really new to both this forum and raising chickens. And I am trying to get in a lot of posts but impossible to read them all, so if this has been shared or something you already understand, my apologies. But last night, I did a little reading on here about owls with the question of what hour would be safe to let my girls out in the morning once they are older. Some seemed to have the idea that at dawn owls were not so much of a concern.

Well funny timing, but I was outside with my hubby today IN THE AFTERNOON! Predator proofing my chicks' new daytime playpen when I saw an owl land in our nearby tree. Granted I am on the edge of a swamp so that my trees are pretty shady and we have a LOT of owls, but yeah... wanted to just warn and or remind any of us that live where there are owls, that the time of day does not rule them out.

I've seen an owl swoop down and grab a rabbit I was about to shoot not 10 yards in front of me dead in the middle of the day. While they tend to hunt at night when they have a dry spell they have to eat and will hunt during the day. They will also change their pattern if they find an easy source of food (like free range chickens).

I've seen an owl swoop down and grab a rabbit I was about to shoot not 10 yards in front of me dead in the middle of the day. While they tend to hunt at night when they have a dry spell they have to eat and will hunt during the day. They will also change their pattern if they find an easy source of food (like free range chickens).
Mine won't be free range and this, along with other swamp creatures, is why. I researched it because we still have to build the run and until I am sure we did a good job securing it I will be on extra guard about predators and even then...

You can read a lot about predators only hunting at certain times of day or night. Not true. Some are more active at certain times but I've even seen a possum eating at my compost pile at 1:00 PM on a sunny day. That surprised me. Any of them can show up at any time, especially if Mommy has a nest of babies she is feeding.

Typically your biggest risk is at night, not because they don't hunt other times but because there isn't human activity to scare them away or make them cautious.

So, I am really new to both this forum and raising chickens. And I am trying to get in a lot of posts but impossible to read them all, so if this has been shared or something you already understand, my apologies. But last night, I did a little reading on here about owls with the question of what hour would be safe to let my girls out in the morning once they are older. Some seemed to have the idea that at dawn owls were not so much of a concern.

Well funny timing, but I was outside with my hubby today IN THE AFTERNOON! Predator proofing my chicks' new daytime playpen when I saw an owl land in our nearby tree. Granted I am on the edge of a swamp so that my trees are pretty shady and we have a LOT of owls, but yeah... wanted to just warn and or remind any of us that live where there are owls, that the time of day does not rule them out.
OH MY, I thought I heard one today during the day and sure enough went outside and he sounded like he was 5 feet from me! Now I don't want to let the chickens free range. Scary.

Thank you
I heard one in the afternoon wasn’t sure till that night he was there! Hooting sounded like he was 5 ft from me but I couldn’t find him.

Back
Top Bottom