Official BYC Poll: When Did Your Hen/s Begin Laying Eggs?

When Did Your Hen/s Begin Laying Eggs?

• < 18 weeks

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • 18 weeks

Votes: 29 18.2%
  • 19 weeks

Votes: 19 11.9%
  • 20 weeks

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • 21 weeks

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • 22 weeks

Votes: 34 21.4%
  • 23 weeks

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • 24 weeks

Votes: 43 27.0%
  • 25 weeks

Votes: 25 15.7%
  • 26 weeks

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • 27 weeks

Votes: 14 8.8%
  • 28 weeks

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • 29 weeks

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 30+ weeks

Votes: 36 22.6%
  • I have freeloaders

Votes: 25 15.7%

• Total voters
Pics

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
The question of "When will my hen/s start laying?" comes up frequently on the forum. There are so many factors to consider, such as breed, diet, etc. As a result, we would like you to share your experiences about what to expect from the different breeds and when.

We'd like you to place your vote above by telling us the age at which your hen/s started laying eggs and to reply to the thread with what breed/s they are.

official byc poll (4).png

Further Reading:

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)

All of mine have started at over 30 weeks old. I have DSL Barnevelders and English Orpingtons of assorted colors. The second generation of Orps are 10 months old now and still no eggs! The others stopped really early for molt/winter, too, and rested for half a year. Not the most productive chickens, but they are pets and make up for it with personality and cuddliness, so it all works out.

This will be a good one for someone to figure out. Everyone ready. Our girls started laying on the first of the December with little eggs. They laid three times in December. Then quit laying. January 0 eggs. February they started laying again and is still laying and that includes the two golden laced Wyandottes we picked up in September of last year. Question is why? would they start and then stop in December. Nothing changed only it was windy, cold and rainy.

This will be a good one for someone to figure out. Everyone ready. Our girls started laying on the first of the December with little eggs. They laid three times in December. Then quit laying. January 0 eggs. February they started laying again and is still laying and that includes the two golden laced Wyandottes we picked up in September of last year. Question is why? would they start and then stop in December. Nothing changed only it was windy, cold and rainy.
I’ve had a pullet start and stop on me twice now. She laid two eggs in early October, stopped for three weeks, laid steadily through November and December, then stopped again in January and has yet to start laying again. I have no idea why she stopped in the fall, but it got considerably colder at the end of December and through January and one of my older hens also stopped laying during one particularly bad cold spell. It takes a lot of energy to create eggs, and if they’re working hard to stay warm, they may not have the energy to lay eggs on top of that.
Older hens, of course will likely take a break in the fall/winter when they molt and when daylight is short. And it’s not a guarantee that pullets will lay through the winter, as you have learned.

Back
Top Bottom