Official BYC Poll: How Do You Keep Your Chickens Cool In Summer?

How Do You Keep Your Chickens Cool In Summer?

• Their run is in a shaded area

Votes: 250 61.3%
  • I put a shade cloth/heat resistant tarp over their run

Votes: 125 30.6%
  • I've installed a misting system

Votes: 48 11.8%
  • I provide plenty of fresh cool water

Votes: 334 81.9%
  • They have a fan in their coop

Votes: 102 25.0%
  • I put out shallow pans with water/ice for them to stand/sit in

Votes: 131 32.1%
  • I feed them frozen fruits & veggies often

Votes: 150 36.8%
  • Their coop is well ventilated

Votes: 254 62.3%
  • I lightly wet the sand in their run

Votes: 66 16.2%
  • My chickens are heat tolerant

Votes: 85 20.8%
  • I have a roof over their run

Votes: 166 40.7%
  • I have lots of trees and bushes for them to sit under

Votes: 197 48.3%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 41 10.0%

• Total voters
Pics

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Summertime is a wonderful time, but with the sunshine and long days comes a potential hazard for our flocks: extreme heat. Chickens naturally wear a warm coat of feathers and can overheat easily, therefore it is essential that we provide means for them to cool down, if needed, and regulate their body temperatures.

So How Do You Keep Your Chickens Cool In Summer?

Please place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

official BYC poll (32).png

Further Reading:
(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)

Last edited:
Shaded run, acreage of pasture under-brushed but not cleared, well-ventilated coop (one of which is raised, so they can dig and dustbathe under it in the shade, the other is better ventilated still), and I'm selecting for clean legged chickens with prominent combs to help them bleed heat more easily.

Considered selecting for large surface area to body mass - but rejected that immediately. I like meaty birds.

Water is lukewarm. to warm-ish, but not hot - around 80F?

They still pant a lot mid summer.

I live in Louisiana, so shallow pans of water are mosquito breeding grounds. I let my 3 standard hens free range all day. I have lots of trees and bushes, so they find shade easily. I just ordered a hanging waterer for their favorite shady spot! I usually add ice to the water and feed them fresh and frozen fruit and vegetables.

There is no "other" to select, but I'm hoping that letting them free range with an acre of shady pines right behind the coop will help. Our warm weather is just starting. So far they like to dig into the ground and sit in the cool earth. I make sure they have plenty of water throughout the day and a well ventilated coop for the night.

I'll be checking in here for more ideas.

Back
Top Bottom