Newly hatched peachick can't stand up!

Faisal12

In the Brooder
May 29, 2023
Bahrain
I hatched this chick in an incubator, but unfortunately, it's unable to stand up or lift its body. I've tried various methods, like taping its fingers to improve grip and keeping its toes in the right position, but it hasn't made any difference. It keeps falling to the ground and struggling to stand up. I suspect there might be an issue with its knee, but I'm not certain. Could you provide any insights into what might be causing this problem and what the recommended treatment would be in this case?
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-07 at 6.23.53 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-07 at 6.23.53 AM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-07 at 6.23.53 AM (2).jpeg

It has a couple of problems most likely caused by 'bubble butt'. It has an excess of egg yolk making it bottom heavy and difficult to stand up. It may have also been on a slick surface and could not get a grip and has spratteled a bit. Start by making a heavy cardboard about 6x5 inches and make two holes for the legs to stick through. Tape the feet flat and straight to the bottom. The chick would normally only have to be on the board for 12 to 24 hours in the hatcher but if it has been a day or two since hatch it may take longer or repeated sessions on the board. If it is bubble butt, the chick expelling the excess will also help it regain its balance. Take a pic of the back of the knees so we can see if it has a slipped tendon.
IMG_8089.JPG
IMG_8087.JPG

@KsKingBee Thanks for your reply!
I assume this might be because of genetic issue as I'm having different issues with other chicks and I lost one for no reason after it managed to get better.

this chick I assume he have twisted feet..

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-07 at 3.25.04 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-07 at 3.25.04 PM (1).jpeg

@KsKingBee Thanks for your reply!
I assume this might be because of genetic issue as I'm having different issues with other chicks and I lost one for no reason after it managed to get better.

this chick I assume he have twisted feet..

View attachment 3824106View attachment 3824107
Unless the parents are closely related it is more likely an incubation problem. What you are describing could be because of incubator temperature or humidity are off and the floor surface may be too slick. Use the woven rubberized shelf liner for the best results. Find a lab quality thermometer, set temp at 100* and keep the humidity around 50% during the process.

@KsKingBee I have multiple pairs of peafowls, and for each pair, I mark their eggs to keep track of the results. I've noticed that this particular pair is experiencing issues with all three eggs that have hatched so far, as they all have the same leg problem.

is 50% the right humidity rate to incubate peafowls eggs? my settings on 60%

I used a cardboard and I taped its feet as same as you shared with me..

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-07 at 7.24.16 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-07 at 7.24.17 PM.jpeg

Good job on the chick. The ideal setting is one that allows the egg to lose about 15% of its total weight during the incubation process. Your local conditions are unique to you so you will have to experiment what works best for you. You do this by weighting the egg as you set it and weekly for three weeks making the last adjustment on day 19. My settings are 45% in the inc and 55% in the hatcher and I use 100* in both.

@KsKingBee
Update on this case..

So far I have successfully hatched three chicks from the same pair, but unfortunately, all of them experienced the same leg problem. Regrettably, I lost the first chick, and the second one is still struggling. However, I'm happy to share that I managed to help the third chick, and it can now walk normally!

I want to express my heartfelt gratitude for your great tips. The suggestion to use a cardboard support for 24 hours in the incubator, followed by tying its legs for 12 hours, proved to be incredibly helpful. This morning, when I took the chick out, it was able to walk and even jump!

I truly appreciate all the assistance you provided. Thank you so much!
IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg
IMG_1258.jpg

Back
Top Bottom