Is this Khaki or chocolate splash

Very pretty bird! She appears to have some patterning on her feathers, but I can't really tell what. That could carry over to her offspring.

She looks to be khaki, which is two copies of the dun gene. I do not know why the colour is sometimes even and sometimes "splashy." From an exhibition standpoint, it should be even. Bred to the black, all the offspring will have one copy of dun: hobby named chocolate.

Hi. I bought and raise "chocolate" wyandotte bantams I got about 4 years ago from Sandhill. I have since found out that they are dun and not chocolate, but that is fine I just love the colour. I to get quit a few that look like that with the different shades on each feather and I was wondering if they were splash or something different. I also get splash birds that are mostly white with just some dun on the wings mostly (more like what I have seen with a blue splash). I will try and take some pictures of them on the weekend. Lovely bird.

The APA/ABA recognised variety is called chocolate or dun or fawn, depending on the breed and whether it is one or two copies of the dun gene. Chocolates created with the choc gene are also called chocolate; however you cannot create khaki with choc. Hobby designated variety names are based upon appearance, not genetic makeup of birds.

I've been looking for a thread with a photo of Khaki color. I have a young Serama pullet that I think is khaki. I know there are "all of the above" as far as color genes in Serama's but I'm trying to figure her out and they can have dun, khaki, brown and chocolate so I have no idea how to tell one from the other. I've posted her photo around and have gotten little information. Any ideas?

8809_seramachick404april2010_02.jpg

These are all het (1 dose) dun not khaki (2 dose). The whitish from the first oegb could be silver groundcolor.
Khaki is almost white unless you started with a dark black color like white crested black polish.

Back
Top Bottom