I have everything ready… except chicks- help!

Okay so it’s normal for hatcheries to be months out like that then? That’s good to know! Thank you for replying, I’ll just hound them I guess haha
At this season (spring), yes it is very normal for hatcheries to be booked up like that.
At other seasons, not as much so.

Because they have to ship the chicks the day they hatch, the hatchery does try to sell them all before hatch day. And if they can sell the chicks before they even set the eggs in the incubator, that's even better for them, because they know they are setting the right kinds of eggs for the chicks people want at that time.

Regarding your title
I have everything ready… except chicks- help!
I chuckled because it's backwards of how many other people do it, but backwards in a good way. Too many people get the cute chicks first and are then scrambling to learn what they need, so I really like that you have everything ready before getting the chicks :)

At this season (spring), yes it is very normal for hatcheries to be booked up like that.
At other seasons, not as much so.

Because they have to ship the chicks the day they hatch, the hatchery does try to sell them all before hatch day. And if they can sell the chicks before they even set the eggs in the incubator, that's even better for them, because they know they are setting the right kinds of eggs for the chicks people want at that time.

Regarding your title

I chuckled because it's backwards of how many other people do it, but backwards in a good way. Too many people get the cute chicks first and are then scrambling to learn what they need, so I really like that you have everything ready before getting the chicks :)
Aww thank you so much. I’m trying to be a responsible owner for a beginner. My friend really helped because she already owns them, so she set me up for success. My goal is to get in 4H for my son, and to teach responsibility. I think he would really like it when he’s a bit older.

I need to call around! Everyone around here also keeps mentioned Rural King but I’m assuming it’s like TSC. Never been to one.
I believe that's a chain as well (we don't have them here) - but doesn't hurt to look into it, maybe they have more info available on when they get chicks and what's available. I buy my chicks and supplies from the same 2 or 3 family run/co-op run stores - they cost a bit more but they're convenient and carry what I'm looking for.

Both tractor supply’s in my area sold out of their chicks yesterday as soon as they got them in. I’m looking for 6, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest a place to get them, or a hatchery online that lets you buy less than 10 and has some in stock for this or next month. I checked Meyers and the rep said the earliest is June for Plymouth Rocks. I’d like them sooner, what would you guys suggest? Tractor supply
Said to call them on Mondays to see when their shipment is coming in. I think at this point maybe the best thing to do is just wait outside the day they have them. 😩 I’m getting so anxious!! I want those chicks!

Thanks all !
Cackle Hatchery has a backyard bundle where you can choose 3 breeds for $60, shipping included. I plan on getting two of those, myself. Fortunately, I live close enough that I can go get them in stead of having to have them shipped. Good luck!

Both tractor supply’s in my area sold out of their chicks yesterday as soon as they got them in. I’m looking for 6, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest a place to get them, or a hatchery online that lets you buy less than 10 and has some in stock for this or next month. I checked Meyers and the rep said the earliest is June for Plymouth Rocks. I’d like them sooner, what would you guys suggest? Tractor supply
Said to call them on Mondays to see when their shipment is coming in. I think at this point maybe the best thing to do is just wait outside the day they have them. 😩 I’m getting so anxious!! I want those chicks!

Thanks all !
My pet chicken and chickens for backyards ( both online hatcheries) have ducklings

Thanks all !
Both Orshlans and Attwoods in my area carry chicks, hope this helps!

Thanks all !
We went to Atwoods and asked when their mail comes and just came back to the store at that time. Got all the chicks we wanted.

Back
Top Bottom