Help. Our duck is breathing weird

Thank the Lord she was sure in distress. Keep us updated.
Well we are gonna try to coconut oil. Just got home from work and she’s doing it again. Not sure if she was doing it the whole time or not. My girlfriend didn’t think she was when she came out to check on her. She said she was fine. She is like whipping her head around sometimes.

We gave her the coconut oil and it seemed to help. But as soon as we let her out of the run to forage again she started breathing with her mouth open again and shaking her head around. So we kept her in the run the rest of the night and we didn’t lock them in their coop. We left them out because we were worried she wouldn’t get enough oxygen if she was gonna breathe like that all night. We haven’t let them out to forage today. Just their feed and what they can reach from the edges of their kennel and she doesn’t seem to be breathing with her mouth open as much. We did clean out their coop and we have been finding broken open eggs and thought it was our other newly laying duck, but now we are thinking maybe it’s peaches and she maybe has an egg shell stuck? We aren’t really sure and are just monitoring her and doing what we can

If you have Calcium gluconate start giving it to her it can help get an egg moving and start eliminating what the problem is. Give her 1 ml to start and if she hasn't laid by morning give her another . Usually they will go off by themselves and won't interact with the flock her vent will pulse like she is trying to lay and she'll stand and walk like a penguin. I've never heard of one breathing like she is if egg-bound but I guess every duck can act differently.

If you have Calcium gluconate start giving it to her it can help get an egg moving and start eliminating what the problem is. Give her 1 ml to start and if she hasn't laid by morning give her another . Usually they will go off by themselves and won't interact with the flock her vent will pulse like she is trying to lay and she'll stand and walk like a penguin. I've never heard of one breathing like she is if egg-bound but I guess every duck can act differently.
Not egg bound, like she ate an egg shell and it’s stuck in her throat maybe. We are finding broken eggs in the coop

Again, we are just assuming. We have no idea honestly. I did feel her throat and didn’t seem to feel anything in there but she is acting like there is especially when she whips her head around. We are kind of at a loss and just keeping an eye on her. She sneezes/coughs so we thought she was sick but now we aren’t thinking so.

@Miss Lydia after my girlfriend doing a ton of research last night, we think it might be aspergillosis. Do you have any idea of over the counter antifungal medicine for them that we could get for her? We are moving their kennel as well. We think it’s from all the straw over the winter and then she is foraging through it all the time and she just hit a bad spot. So we are moving them back up to the top of the yard and cleaning up their winter area for the year.

@Miss Lydia after my girlfriend doing a ton of research last night, we think it might be aspergillosis. Do you have any idea of over the counter antifungal medicine for them that we could get for her? We are moving their kennel as well. We think it’s from all the straw over the winter and then she is foraging through it all the time and she just hit a bad spot. So we are moving them back up to the top of the yard and cleaning up their winter area for the year.
I actually thought of Asper. I didn't mention it because nothing was said about her chest sounds. I am going to tag @Jenbirdee and let her tell you how she got her Runner through it. I know she used Oxine ah and colloidal silver.

Back
Top Bottom