Duckling hatched with deformed bill

Canadian Wind

Duck Crazy Canuck
Premium Feather Member
Jul 25, 2022
Eastern Ontario
My Coop
My Coop
This little fella hatched not too long ago. I can't even tell if it an open it's bill. What do you think it's chances are?

It's one of the survivors from my infamous 60 hour power outage. The eggs were at around 5 days incubation at the time. I'm thinking this may have been the issue, although the two others that have hatched so far seem fine.

20240429_111335.jpg

20240429_111414.jpg

This little fella hatched not too long ago. I can't even tell if it an open it's bill. What do you think it's chances are?

It's one of the survivors from my infamous 60 hour power outage. The eggs were at around 5 days incubation at the time. I'm thinking this may have been the issue, although the two others that have hatched so far seem fine.

View attachment 3815763

View attachment 3815765

Ducks do remarkable way with deformed and traumatized bills. I ensure they have a deep feeding bowl as mine with a deformed bill tended to plow his fiod up against the side. Also, mine preferred to fish for his peas in a bowl of water. But he was good at pulling on and eating weeds in my yard!

Mine came from eggs that had been under a hen, and sat for a while without her heat, so I would also bet the power outage is the reason for the deformation. But yes, give him a chance and see how he adapts. He might grow a little slower but we’ve seen tons of people here have ducks with bill issues that live very productive lives. Best of luck!

Ducks do remarkable way with deformed and traumatized bills. I ensure they have a deep feeding bowl as mine with a deformed bill tended to plow his fiod up against the side. Also, mine preferred to fish for his peas in a bowl of water. But he was good at pulling on and eating weeds in my yard!
Thanks Ruth! I always moisten my ducks' food, so that should make it easier too.

Mine came from eggs that had been under a hen, and sat for a while without her heat, so I would also bet the power outage is the reason for the deformation. But yes, give him a chance and see how he adapts. He might grow a little slower but we’ve seen tons of people here have ducks with bill issues that live very productive lives. Best of luck!
I'm actually very surprised that so many made it through this outage. I had two hatch that had been much further along and with this batch of six the others that hatched seem fine apart from one late quitter. I'm just very thankful that *any* of the hatched. Also still miffed that my goose eggs didn't make it through...

Back
Top Bottom