Dreaming of a different life

RRAllen

In the Brooder
May 24, 2023
Hi. I actually don't have chickens yet or even a place where we can own chickens as we currently live in a residential area in San Antonio Texas. I have a corporate job that I used to love but no longer get the satisfaction that I once did. I dream of a different life and this is the first step.

I found this site because I was searching for information on what type of chickens would be good in our area (Texas) and (once we move out of the city) learn what we need to know to get started, are there better chickens for beginners and what do we need to do to be successful, i.e., happy healthy chickens.

I can't answer most of the questions because I am here to learn.

We have been married for 23 years in July and we are 100% city folk with professional office jobs. My husband is in IT/Systems Administration and I'm in Quality and Process Improvement. We have two dogs that are our children, a hot-mess doodle and our sweet boy an airedale rescue. My husband's father does have a ranch in the country with some land and a few heads of cattle (no chickens), but this was a life change/ decision similar to what we are facing, so my husband was not raised in this life.

This is a great place to explore possibilities; you will have the opportunity to learn from experienced folks who are happy to share their knowledge, before you make any major lifestyle changes.

I admire you for taking your first step, and I hope that being a part of this community enables you to move on to Step 2, whatever that is for you.

Welcome to BYC, and BTW, love the description of your two dogs!

Hi. I actually don't have chickens yet or even a place where we can own chickens as we currently live in a residential area in San Antonio Texas. I have a corporate job that I used to love but no longer get the satisfaction that I once did. I dream of a different life and this is the first step.

I found this site because I was searching for information on what type of chickens would be good in our area (Texas) and (once we move out of the city) learn what we need to know to get started, are there better chickens for beginners and what do we need to do to be successful, i.e., happy healthy chickens.

I can't answer most of the questions because I am here to learn.

We have been married for 23 years in July and we are 100% city folk with professional office jobs. My husband is in IT/Systems Administration and I'm in Quality and Process Improvement. We have two dogs that are our children, a hot-mess doodle and our sweet boy an airedale rescue. My husband's father does have a ranch in the country with some land and a few heads of cattle (no chickens), but this was a life change/ decision similar to what we are facing, so my husband was not raised in this life.
Welcome to BYC!!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

You've come to the right place to learn a lot not only about the proper way to care for your flock but also will find many like minded folks who believe that the rat race is for the rats.
I stopped working as a full time chemical engineer and went part time to free me up to flip houses on the side. It was a much more rewarding experience to make someone's home. And I never went back to full time when I was done flipping. I just live a more simple, down to earth life and have never regretted my decision. EVER. It is much less stressful.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

You have definitely come to the right place for all the fun and learning! It's fun to dream and hopefully your dream of welcoming in a more quiet life comes true soon.

Definitely follow the link to your state thread that @N F C has left for you above.

Welcome to our community!

Back
Top Bottom