Cornish Cross no feathers?

Jun 3, 2021
I have 10 Cornish cross chicks (this is my second time raising up Cornish x), they're all about 2 weeks old, and one is nearly completely naked on her back! It's like there's not even an idea of feathers except head, tail, belly, and wings! She's also the smallest of them all. I know they're meat birds but I don't want them to be uncomfortable or to eat/expose the others to a sick bird. I'll post photos tomorrow morning, but does anyone else have any experience with this? I know Cornish x have sparse feathers but this one is taking it to a worrying extreme :(

Usually with mine (Sussex) they will lose their feathers on their back if the others are sleeping on it, or huddling up because they are cold, it's usually the smallest one

Usually with mine (Sussex) they will lose their feathers on their back if the others are sleeping on it, or huddling up because they are cold, it's usually the smallest one
I'll add another heat source so they don't pile up! I didn't notice any specific packing together for the heat but it can't hurt! Thank you for responding, do your Sussex get their feathers back as adults if that does happen?

CXs have spotty feather coverage to begin with; mine seem to grow so quickly that their feathering doesn't look like it'll catch up to the carcass size until a week or two before their conversion date. I have a few 6 week olds right now that look threadbare.

Back
Top Bottom