Chicken is dying URGENT

OscarAT

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 20, 2016
One of my hens is dying it’s unresponsive but still breathing and it’s comb it’s turning purple. I just found out that it was caused by a mite infestation I already gave her DE and ivermectin a couple of hours ago and is not improving. I tried giving her sugar water but won’t respond. I have her wrapped in a towel and trying to keep her comfortable what do I do.

Attachments

• IMG_8023.jpeg
    IMG_8023.jpeg
    701.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8019.jpeg
    IMG_8019.jpeg
    587.2 KB · Views: 13
So very sorry about your hen. :hugs I think she's beyond recovery at this point. The best thing you can do is make sure she's comfortable and keep her company in her final moments.

Since she is unconscious, it is not safe to give her sugar water or fluids. It may be too late to save her without a vet giving her subcutaneous fluids. Permethrin dust or spray may treat mites and lice. Treat them at least twice after 7 days to get the newly hatched ones. The coop should also be treated and bedding replaced. Elector PSP can be another treatment.

One of my hens is dying it’s unresponsive but still breathing and it’s comb it’s turning purple. I just found out that it was caused by a mite infestation I already gave her DE and ivermectin a couple of hours ago and is not improving. I tried giving her sugar water but won’t respond. I have her wrapped in a towel and trying to keep her comfortable what do I do.
Just wanted to report to all of you who replied that my hen is doing much better now! She started to become more responsive about a couple hours later and I used a syringe to slowly give her some fluids, and when I moved her around I found an egg! I suspect she was egg bound, because she is up and moving again! Thank you all for the help!

Just wanted to report to all of you who replied that my hen is doing much better now! She started to become more responsive about a couple hours later and I used a syringe to slowly give her some fluids, and when I moved her around I found an egg! I suspect she was egg bound, because she is up and moving again! Thank you all for the help!
Wow that is good news! Please do treat everyone for the mites tho, they could certainly kill a hen. It might not be a bad idea to give some calcium to help with recovery from egg binding.

Back
Top Bottom