Attachments

• 20220201_170850.jpg
    20220201_170850.jpg
    953.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220201_170826.jpg
    20220201_170826.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Indeed.

My chickens are locked up for the recommended 30 days in re: Avian Flu and they're getting a little rambunctious even with almost 12 square feet per bird available.
I bet! Mine came out briefly this morning for their warm mash and went right back inside and started griping, lol. As it stands they have almost 10sqft per bird. Yours are probably saying "but mom we've got stuff to do outside", lol. How much longer for the quarantine?

I bet! Mine came out briefly this morning for their warm mash and went right back inside and started griping, lol. As it stands they have almost 10sqft per bird. Yours are probably saying "but mom we've got stuff to do outside", lol. How much longer for the quarantine?

I figure I'll let them out again at the beginning of March unless I get other official information.

Sorry, I know this is unusual for Texas, but that tiny powdering of snow is the apocalypse, eh? 😅

IKR!? But it must be a shock, more the temps than the snow, for both the people and the chickens.

:D

As a Yankee transplanted to the south:

Our cars don't have snow tires.

We don't own heavy winter coats, gloves, and boots. My muck boots have tread so I can walk on snow, but no insulation (they're hot enough already when I'm working in the coop on a 95F degree day in July).

Our heat pump HVAC systems don't function well below 30F.

The small town I lived in up in Massachusetts had more snow removal equipment than this entire country does (and in the recent storms we have managed to flip not one but TWO plow trucks upside down).

1643930839430.png

We don't even own a snow shovel, but we at least DO have an ice scraper for the vehicle windows. :lau

I'll admit to having gotten soft about winter. I'm OK with that -- I planted peas today.

My muck boots have tread so I can walk on snow, but no insulation (they're hot enough already when I'm working in the coop on a 95F degree day in July).
If you wear several extra pairs of socks, they make pretty good chore boots in cold weather too. Wool socks are really nice for this, but any kind of sock helps because the boots keep the socks dry. You might need boots a size larger than normal, to allow room for the extra socks-- if someone in the household has bigger feet than you do, you might be able to borrow their boots when cold weather hits ;)

Back
Top Bottom