Capon roos for pets

Update....Pip, the roo that crowed is now crowing the none dying down crow he was doing right out of surgery. He is only crowing in the mornings. Has yet to crow during the day which he did all the time. So, it's an improvement. His crow is more quiet but I'm not sure if the neighbors will hear him or not. We most likely will just keep having him sleep indoors. I'm thankful he's not crowing during the day. The other roo like I've stated before will never crow. He never started so it never became habit unlike Pip. If you are caponizing to stop crowing than it needs to be done earlier than later. Both roos are getting along. They on occasion will puff up in a face off situation but they do not attack each other or even try. They puff then one will walk away. Most the time they are foraging and hanging out together with no problem. There is still absolutely no aggression. It's gone, gone, gone. We can hold and love on the roos. No biting or trying to go after us. This is all a huge improvement from where we started prior to the canonization two weeks ago. My kids are thrilled that they can carry Pip around and he truly enjoys it like he did prior to him having gotten aggressive. He always loved the attention and now he's back to loving the attention. One big happy family living with one big happy flock.

That’s awesome, thanks for posting! And as someone who has worked at a veterinary hospital, I can tell you that is a great price for the surgery. How old were they when caponized? My roo didn’t become aggressive until about a year old, and I would think that really is too late to do it.
Also I did try the hormone implant over the summer but that didn’t do too much for him at his age.

How old is too old to caponize?

My vet has only done 3 roos. The first didn't make it but she knew where she went wrong. The second one she did was one year old. Her client needed it done due to the aggression he had. She had an elderly mom who the roo was attacking. This room lost all aggression and is back to sitting on her mom's lap to watch TV. My vet said a year really is too old but this story shows it can be done. I'm not sure why it's harder to do the older they are but that's what she said. My two she did were both 6 months old. She said she'd like them younger that that if possible but they did great and are thriving. In fact I carried Pip all around this morning with me as I got ready for work. It's so great having the sweet manageable Pip back.

That’s awesome, thanks for posting! And as someone who has worked at a veterinary hospital, I can tell you that is a great price for the surgery. How old were they when caponized? My roo didn’t become aggressive until about a year old, and I would think that really is too late to do it.
Also I did try the hormone implant over the summer but that didn’t do too much for him at his age.

My roos were both 6 months old. However, my vet did do one when it was one year old. He came through fine and is still doing well over a year later. That client had decided to do it at a year because of how aggressive he became towards her elderly mother. After the procedure the roo was back to sitting with her mom to watch TV. He still crows on occasion because like our one roo it became habit but his aggression is gone. My vet would like to do them as soon as you know they are s roo. She said it's safer the younger they are but I'm not entirely sure why. Mine at 6 months came through great and her other client with hers at one year did great as well. I spoke to her prior to doing ours. I don't know if I'd try it much past a year but if the circumstances were such that I didn't have much of a choice than I probably would try.

My roos were both 6 months old. However, my vet did do one when it was one year old. He came through fine and is still doing well over a year later. That client had decided to do it at a year because of how aggressive he became towards her elderly mother. After the procedure the roo was back to sitting with her mom to watch TV. He still crows on occasion because like our one roo it became habit but his aggression is gone. My vet would like to do them as soon as you know they are s roo. She said it's safer the younger they are but I'm not entirely sure why. Mine at 6 months came through great and her other client with hers at one year did great as well. I spoke to her prior to doing ours. I don't know if I'd try it much past a year but if the circumstances were such that I didn't have much of a choice than I probably would try.
Yeah I kinda figure mine is too old at 1.5 years. I can handle him (no one else will!) but if I could have done it early, I probably would have. He crows like crazy but it’s fine, we like the sounds and are able to have roos. Glad things worked out so well for your boys!!

It's major abdominal surgery, and traditionally was done on younger cockerels with no anesthesia, on the farm, not by a veterinarian.
I saw it done in college poultry science class, and both cockerels died. Nasty!
If done very fast by someone with lots of experience, it apparently was cost-effective in getting those capons to market.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom