can bantams live in a mixed flock

Mo_fawaazzz

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
i free range my turkeys, guineas, mallarsd, and RIRs. I am thinking about adding in a few medium sized bantams to my flock. will they get demolished or bullied?

i free range my turkeys, guineas, mallarsd, and RIRs. I am thinking about adding in a few medium sized bantams to my flock. will they get demolished or bullied?
If they have fluff and feathers blocking their vision, probably yes. (I'm thinking of Silkies here, but also other crested breeds, and maybe some with big muffs.)

But if they can see just fine, especially if they are also active and energetic, they should not have trouble (examples: Old English Game Bantams and Sebrights and many Easter Egger Bantams). Since you mention free ranging, I assume they will have enough space to get away from bullies, and they can probably fly up into trees or onto fences or other things like that.

I am not sure about breeds like bantam Cochins and bantam Brahmas and bantam Buff Orpingtons, that tend to be more docile and slow-moving. They might also be fine, or they might not be. In general, the more space they have, the more likely they are to avoid bullying. That means free ranging is likely to work better than if someone was trying to shut them all into a coop or run together.

Back
Top Bottom