BYC Café

I need to stop thinking that I'm ahead of the game on the garden, just because I've been puttering around while the weather is warm. It's May, now, and I have to get it in gear.

I cleared out the place where I'm going to plant pole beans, and I'm toying with the idea that I'll plant a row next week, depending on the 8 day forecast, and whether there's any frost mentioned.

Or will that just be a :plbb to Mother Nature, and she'll :smackme?

Oh, I am well aware.
Cut/break it and it branches even wider and larger.
15 acres here that I cut trails all over for walking/skiiing.
One good thing about it is that it breaks fairly easily(as long as you don't grab a thorn), I was always breaking off branches that grew into the trails while walking/mowing/skiiing/snowmobiling.
It will take over the world!!
What I just looked up on "bora" sounds pretty serious! Uprooted trees, roofs ripped off. Be safe!

:lau

They are everywhere here. I don't hate them for two reasons: We have 25 acres, and the honeybees LOVE them.

At the bee meeting, the presenter (an arborist/beekeeper) said that autumn olive is the "perfect" invasive. Birds eat the fruit, poop out the seeds in the perfect condition for sprouting. Chop it down? It grows back and spreads. Dig it out? ANY bit of root can survive and grow a new plant.

We have chopped some down, and yep, they come back every time. The most we can hope for is to keep them (slightly) in check. Any twiglet that comes up in the gardens gets pulled out.

Another thing I have to stay ahead of is walnut. Squirrels bury the nuts, and when they come up in the garden, I am relentless.
Sounds like you two are describing buckthorn. Cut it off, pull it out, it just keeps coming back. And it has nice little berries that the birds scatter about. There are groves that have been completely taken over by this stuff. It’s so thick you can’t even walk through them.

IMG_5198.jpeg
IMG_5199.jpeg

I had to look them up to see whether they were the same plant with different names, or if there are two terrible invasive plants. The leaves are different, but the berries look similar.

Sounds like you two are describing buckthorn. Cut it off, pull it out, it just keeps coming back. And it has nice little berries that the birds scatter about. There are groves that have been completely taken over by this stuff. It’s so thick you can’t even walk through them.
Ah, yes, my arch nemesis. Goats help.

Sunny most the day here and warm enough to open windows and peel off the hoodie while moving feed from van to coop.
Thunderstorms tomorrow, hopefully not until after I make the library and grocery run.
Had to put a broody in the crate the other night, next day had to remove the floor roost as she was 'brooding' it. She's finally up and active today but still clucky.

Back
Top Bottom