Baby not standing

shelleyawood

Hatching
Mar 13, 2024
**** I did take her up to mom. She did NOT have it. She pecked at it like crazy. Soooo back to the heat lamp she went. I gave her small sips of water. Tried to see if it would eat a tiny worm but it wouldn’t. I hope she makes it but I’m not sure.

I have a broody hen that has been doing great. Yesterday was day 21 and I had one chick that started to hatch or so I thought. I believe something cracked the egg. Anyway, the chick didn’t appear to be breathing and I thought the poor baby died. Last night I went to bury her and I moved the shovel she chirped! I about died. I think what saved us was the coop was very warm due to mid 80 degreee temps. I had to help her out of the membrane and shell last night after it was moistened. She is under a heat lamp and fluffed out some. She was very vocal last night but today not so much, her one eye appears matted shut nor is she standing. If I give her a bit of water she lifts her head but it’s floppy. Is this normal? She was freed from the shell around 10:30 last night. I plan on taking her up to her mama today. I’ve never tried hatching my own. I’ve always bought them from Hoovers or Murray’s. Any advice? View attachment 3819407View attachment 3819406

Last edited:
Your chick won't eat for a few days. They absorb the yolk right before hatching. I would get a chick starter. No worms. You could try a bit of scrambled eggs after it starts to eat and drink. I wouldn't try to give it water as they can aspirate easily. It needs a day or two to recover from hatching.

Back
Top Bottom