What in the sam hill am I looking at?

More than likely yes, in the reproductive tract.
Why the matter is in an egg, but they can be expelled outside of an egg also.
Not too uncommon with production breed birds.
Don't think it can really be treated, tho antibiotics might work.
Best to start a new thread in the 'disease' forum to get advice on that.
I keep antibiotics on hand for respiratory infections in the summer month since the dust gets them especially bad around that time. I'll try them on a round of that and see what happens. And I'll copy and paste this in the disease section, thanks for the suggestion.

Update:
I tried a variation of a home remedy for salpingitis posted by another member of this site.
3ml of Corid
3ml of Verm-X
3 amoxicillin tablets, crushed
A single drop of oregano essential oil
Roughly 1/2 Tablespoon of local honey
About a teaspoon of water.

I've given each of my 2 Golden Comets 1.5 ml each evening in a syringe. I still can't be absolutely certain which girl laid the lash eggs, but I have a feeling it was the one acting a little depressed (thought she was depressed over the flock changes, losing her favorite bullying victim and gaining two leghorns that are two fast or stubborn to be bullied).
But now I think she was the salpingitis victim because she's perked up significantly over the last few days, her appetite has increased, and she's more social and vocal. There was a single busted shell-less egg under the roost (looked like a deflated ivory balloon). Really hoping no one popped it and ate it.
Anyway, I'll keep it updated how the hens are doing and if it seems like the medication slurry is doing it. I doubt the hen in question will ever lay again if it was salpingitis, but as long as she doesn't die a miserable death, whatever. 😆

Back
Top Bottom