What did you do in the garden today?

Rain held off most of the day. Pouring now. A pleasant surprise I have Columbine in bloom. Domestic type. Hersperis Matronalis in bloom AKA Dames Rocket.
DSCN1366.JPG
DSCN1365.JPG

Dame's rocket is blooming here earlier than I've ever seen it. Everything is about 3 weeks ahead of normal.

At the bee meeting, people were talking about ticks, how they're out (early) and BAD this year. Someone said when there isn't much snow cover, the next season is bad. If the ticks lay eggs on bare ground, even if it's frozen, the eggs can hatch. If there's snow, the eggs die.

Gonna be a long tick season...

Recipe for Bordeaux mix?
MIX IN BUCKET OR JUG FIRST BEFORE PUTTING IN SPRAYER TO AVOID CLOGS.

Mix lime and water FIRST to dissolve lime BEFORE adding copper sulfate.

For spraying in small amounts, prepare as above but only mix 1 gallon (3.5 L) of water, 3 1/3 tablespoons (50 ml.) of copper sulfate and 10 tablespoons (148 ml.) of hydrated lime. Agitate the mixture thoroughly before you spray.

USE WITHIN 2 HOURS. Shake sprayer often to keep mixture from settling.

For larger amounts, you can find a scaled recipe here - https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/info/diy-bordeaux-fungicide.htm

Mom's garden bed is filled with 3.5 cubic yards of garden soil. 100's of shovels and approx. 20 wheel barrows ran from the front curb all the way to the back fence where we setup the garden. We planted 6 tomatoes, 6 bell peppers (3 different varieties), about 100 onions, and 3 turnips (for the greens just). She started some seeds too that she'll transplant in a few weeks when their ready. She still has plenty of room right now in the 110 square feet of planting space. It's good to see her getting into it finally, even if she is making a few mistakes along the way. My favorite mistake so far is she started radishes in small pots - she hasn't learned that sometimes direct sowing is better. I'm pretty sure I made the same mistake before - I actually recall starting corn in cups one year. LOL!

IMG_9194.jpeg

My palovina is in
bloom( first time ever for that tree) the frost killed off multiple leaves and buds, but a few managed to pull through 🥰
IMG_9227.jpeg

My first pears, let’s see if they really get to grow up to be pears I can eat 🙏🏻
Right now it is dry as a desert, I am watering whatever I manage, but water is heavy 🙄
IMG_9187.jpeg

Bees are busy pollinating the sterile flower sprout blossoms 🤪 I’ve let them standing for the insects (bumble bees love them too)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom