Roosters

Pics
The best rooster I've had was a Black Lace Wyandot named Lord Mark (from a book series). Aside from being the most handsome thing in the county, he was a very attentive Rooster. He led the girls well as they free ranged, even into the edge of the woods. He protected them well, calling them to safety when the occasional hawk flew over. He was not too vigorous with mating. And though he wasn't cuddle-friendly, he wasn't aggressive toward us or our dogs.

Later we had a Black Australorp. He was solid black with red comb/wattles so he wasn't nearly as impressive to look at. He, too was attentive and protective. However, after a couple of years, he became mean to the girls. If one was in the least difficulty, he attacked her. We saved one through isolation until she healed up, but he pecked the other one so badly we had to cull her. We culled him, too.

Our current big boy is his son by a RIR. Sweet William (my screen name and also from a book series) is not the solid black of the Aussie, but is nearly as handsome as Lord Mark was. He is also very attentive and protective, and not aggressive toward humans. We've had to use a saddle on a hen a time or two because he has his favorite girls that get a lot of attention.

Overall, I HIGHLY recommend the Black Lace Wyandot, and the Aussie/RIR cross as well. But I wasn't impressed with the straight Black Australorp.

The best rooster I've had was a Black Lace Wyandot named Lord Mark (from a book series). Aside from being the most handsome thing in the county, he was a very attentive Rooster. He led the girls well as they free ranged, even into the edge of the woods. He protected them well, calling them to safety when the occasional hawk flew over. He was not too vigorous with mating. And though he wasn't cuddle-friendly, he wasn't aggressive toward us or our dogs.

Later we had a Black Australorp. He was solid black with red comb/wattles so he wasn't nearly as impressive to look at. He, too was attentive and protective. However, after a couple of years, he became mean to the girls. If one was in the least difficulty, he attacked her. We saved one through isolation until she healed up, but he pecked the other one so badly we had to cull her. We culled him, too.

Our current big boy is his son by a RIR. Sweet William (my screen name and also from a book series) is not the solid black of the Aussie, but is nearly as handsome as Lord Mark was. He is also very attentive and protective, and not aggressive toward humans. We've had to use a saddle on a hen a time or two because he has his favorite girls that get a lot of attention.

Overall, I HIGHLY recommend the Black Lace Wyandot, and the Aussie/RIR cross as well. But I wasn't impressed with the straight Black Australorp.
Neither of my black Austrauorp hens are normally aggressive

Back
Top Bottom