New Jersey

Hello fellow New Jersians!
I am hoping to get some wise and experienced advice on how to rehome my flock.
I live in central NJ.
Some background: I have 12 hens (several breeds) and recently added 3 Pekin ducks. The hens range from 3 years old to 1 year old. The ducks are maybe 5-6 weeks old.
My family and I love each and everyone of them, we even had roosters but since moving last winter we had to rehome them. Now we’re considering rehoming because we have realized we aren’t doing that great of a job, their run is starting to smell with the addition of the ducks and fear the neighbors will complain and we’ve had a mice issue that we’ve been battling with for a month or two. I also have a 4 month old so it’s been hard trying to care for everything and I don’t feel like I’m spending enough time with the girls/ducks.
I want to look for a good place for my flock but the rest of my family mentioned we should try selling the flock with the large coop and unopened bags of food we have for them. I can see what they mean as we’ve invested so much time and money, people sell chickens all the time but I’m just not sure if anyone would be interested in purchasing an entire flock and coop/food and if so how much should we sell for?
So far I know we should look into Craigslist, which we’ll do. It was also suggested I post here (hope I did that right) to get some more local advice/help.
I would appreciate any additional advice, thank you!

Hello fellow New Jersians!
I am hoping to get some wise and experienced advice on how to rehome my flock.
I live in central NJ.
Some background: I have 12 hens (several breeds) and recently added 3 Pekin ducks. The hens range from 3 years old to 1 year old. The ducks are maybe 5-6 weeks old.
My family and I love each and everyone of them, we even had roosters but since moving last winter we had to rehome them. Now we’re considering rehoming because we have realized we aren’t doing that great of a job, their run is starting to smell with the addition of the ducks and fear the neighbors will complain and we’ve had a mice issue that we’ve been battling with for a month or two. I also have a 4 month old so it’s been hard trying to care for everything and I don’t feel like I’m spending enough time with the girls/ducks.
I want to look for a good place for my flock but the rest of my family mentioned we should try selling the flock with the large coop and unopened bags of food we have for them. I can see what they mean as we’ve invested so much time and money, people sell chickens all the time but I’m just not sure if anyone would be interested in purchasing an entire flock and coop/food and if so how much should we sell for?
So far I know we should look into Craigslist, which we’ll do. It was also suggested I post here (hope I did that right) to get some more local advice/help.
I would appreciate any additional advice, thank you!
Sorry it has come to that. I have never kept ducks but i understand they are more difficult because of all the water. My chickens don’t smell and I never clean out my deep litter coop. I suspect that doesn’t work with ducks.
I don’t have any useful advice except I think there will be people interested.
There are a couple of Facebook groups for NJ specifically - they are moderated invitation only groups and they seem to be quite active. I would definitely join those and post.

Back
Top Bottom