Insulating a Coop

MeoWusical

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2024
Hello everyone!
I currently built a coop that I bought off of Amazon and it comes with a run. The coop is for my ducks, and I’m planning to get more. However, inside the coop itself is not big enough for 10 ducks, so I want to insulate the attached run, and get one more to attach and insulate as well, so they all have room to lay at night.
I currently have six girls and it’s the beginning of summer, so they are all happy with the current set up that I gave them, but when I have 10 I want to make sure they’re all comfortable and warm, especially in the winter.

My question is, what is the best method to covering up the mesh wire panels of the run? I was thinking of getting wood panels, a tarp, or plexiglass.
I don’t want to spend over $200, if there is a cheap and efficient way of doing this, it would be great if ya’ll could let me know!
IMG_2023.png

My question is, what is the best method to covering up the mesh wire panels of the run? I was thinking of getting wood panels, a tarp, or plexiglass.
Might depend on your climate.
Where in this world do you live?

....but no matter how you close it in, don't think that's enough space for 10 ducks.

Might depend on your climate.
Where in this world do you live?

....but no matter how you close it in, don't think that's enough space for 10 ducks.
I live in southern Oklahoma, so the weather doesn't get too bad, but it can get below freezing some nights.
I’m only going to lock them in the coop at night, so they’ll have enough room outside during the day.

They won't need insulation then. Mine survive just fine in -50 in an uninsulated coop. Average temps here are below freezing, sometimes by a lot, for at least 4 months a year.
Sweet ok, that’s good to know. I knew they were weather hardy but not that hardy 😂 would it be smart if I put a simple tarp against the mesh of the runs to keep the wind out? It gets pretty windy where I live

Sweet ok, that’s good to know. I knew they were weather hardy but not that hardy 😂 would it be smart if I put a simple tarp against the mesh of the runs to keep the wind out? It gets pretty windy where I live
Drafts are a different thing altogether. The coop will need good air flow without being drafty, especially since ducks are so messy (understatement of the year! 🤪)

Drafts are a different thing altogether. The coop will need good air flow without being drafty, especially since ducks are so messy (understatement of the year! 🤪
Haha no kidding
Maybe if I attach the tarp to the mesh pieces, but left a gap on each one, it would keep the cold wind out, but let just enough in to air out the coop so they can breath.

I’ll also add another version of this and attach it to the other run when I get more ducks

Attachments

• IMG_2023.jpeg
    IMG_2023.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom