Hen just sitting listless with humped back.

Mine never hesitate to eat a soft egg, but have never touched hard ones. Supposedly Ravioli had an egg eating problem at her old home, that is why he wanted to get rid of her. But I do believe she was eating soft eggs. After laying an egg, chickens often do a little check on it and if it’s soft, it will break and usually they’ll eat it. I wouldn’t worry too much about that.

Sounds like she is moving in the right direction. You’re doing great.
Just wanted to chime in that mine do the same thing. One of my hens has chronic issues with soft-shelled eggs, and she tends to lay them on the floor, where the hens will all eat them. Another of my girls lays eggs with good hard shells on the floor, and no one ever bothers them. They walk on them, poop on them, whatever. They just never eat them.

I'm glad to hear your hen seems to be doing better, Welchie. :hugs

She ended up laying another soft shell egg yesterday evening... and ate it. We've never had any egg eating problems before (from anyone!). Why did she do this? Did she think she needed the nutrients? Or because it was a soft shell?
She also laid one this morning, a regular hard shelled one with some calcium deposits. I went out to give her the calcium tablet and she was in the middle of laying it. I gave her the tablet afterwards anyway.
I can't stress to you how important it is to give her the calcium daily for at least a full 5 days. You could go 7 if you wish, but at least 5.

She's not feeling well or acting off when she's having to push out a soft shelled egg. These eggs are very hard to expel sometimes. The extra calcium helps with contractions and retention (of tissue when straining).

Her laying a normal hard shelled egg this morning is good, but she may end up having another soft shelled egg again - very hard to know, but hopefully she's on the path to becoming regulated.

Do provide her with a nutritionally balanced poultry feed, oyster shell free choice, limit the amount of treats she gets.

And it's not uncommon for a hen or the flock to eat a soft shelled egg. Mine do, but they all seem to leave hard shelled eggs alone.

Is the lump red and hot? Or is it cool and normal skin color. Is the lump hard? Or does it feel like there's liquid inside. You need to give more information so the folks online can help you.
The vets in my area do not see chickens. If she was my hen, I would examine the lump to see if it's an abscess (you can look online to learn about what an abscess is).
If it is an abscess, I would make a small puncture with a very sharp STERILE blade and see if pus comes out. If there is pus, I would squeeze gently to get all of it out. I would then use hydrogen peroxide on the opening to bubble oxygen in the wound. I would then coat the opening with a topical antibacterial cream.
If the lump does not seem infected, it is probably a tumor (cancer), not an abcess. In that case, there's not a lot you can do.

Is the lump red and hot? Or is it cool and normal skin color. Is the lump hard? Or does it feel like there's liquid inside. You need to give more information so the folks online can help you.
The vets in my area do not see chickens. If she was my hen, I would examine the lump to see if it's an abscess (you can look online to learn about what an abscess is).
If it is an abscess, I would make a small puncture with a very sharp STERILE blade and see if pus comes out. If there is pus, I would squeeze gently to get all of it out. I would then use hydrogen peroxide on the opening to bubble oxygen in the wound. I would then coat the opening with a topical antibacterial cream.
If the lump does not seem infected, it is probably a tumor (cancer), not an abcess. In that case, there's not a lot you can do.
I figured out after posting this thread that it was not an actual lump, but rather just puffy feathers because she was egg bound. She has recovered now. Thanks for replying! :)

Back
Top Bottom