Helping a Hen 'give birth' to an egg...?

Lady Catrina

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
Joshua, Texas
After perusing this (emergencies, injuries) section, I realize that I should have taken photos, however I just went into 'clinical' mode, fixed it, and now would like to know who else has had this issue, and what to do about possible recurrences?
When gathering eggs this am, as I was leaving the henhouse and entering the run, I noticed a Barred Rock squatting... I saw her backside, and there was a very large, semi bloody 'lump' hanging from her vent, as well as blood and poo all over her feathers under her vent. I put my hand on her back and she squatted down for me, I felt the lump, and it was an egg! I felt around some more, and found the vent at the 11 o'clock position, and it realized that she had tried to lay an egg, but it went under her skin, as in a hemorrhoid. I 'pushed' the egg back inside her, readjusted it, stretched the vent, and helped her lay the egg. It was small, 1.4 oz, so no reason this should have happened. She has now been separated from the flock, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on:

1. Weither this will be an issue every time she attempts to lay?
2. If I have to worry about infection, as some small vessels obviously burst?
3. Any suggestions for treatment to help the skin shrink back?

I COULD use antibiotics that we have here, but which ones? I would prefer homeopathic, I could always set up a vaporizer with antibacterial/antiseptic/antiviral oils....

I was planning to do some home treatment, but have not researched EO's on Chickens. My plan was to do Lavender/Aloe Vera base (pain mgmt, calming, antibacterial/antiseptic, etc.) topical ointment...

Is aloe bad for birds? Or should I use Jojoba or grapeseed?

Any suggestions would be wonderful!! And once I delve into the relam of birds and essential oils, I would be happy to share knowledge,
cool.png

The best part is that the egg is out! Separate her from the others because if they start pecking her vent she could bleed to death. I know it sounds crazy but sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of granulated sugar on the tissue that is sticking out. Rub it in gently if the tissue doesn't shrink back in. It should shrink back almost immediatly.

Keep her is a warm area with food and water and give her a crushed Tums. Not Rolaids. Hide it in a bit of scrambled egg.

Usually a stuck egg is from lack of calcium. Use a good layer mix and make sure all of your chickens have access to chicken grit and crushed oyster shells.

You caught it in time and she should heal quickly.
wink.png

I just went through this only the egg didn't come out as easy as yours. Try putting sugar or preperation H on the vent to shrink everything back up. Mine hasn't tried to lay again yet. I kept her in the dark for about 5 days until it was healed. I'm putting back outside today. I've read mixed reviews on it happening again and having to cull the bird. Search for eggbound or prolapse. Good luck.

Thank you both sooo much :) I had called Jim right after it happened, and told him I definitely want an infirmary. I separated her immediately, as I didn't want anyone getting to 'like' the taste of blood. I am headed out to check on her now, and I will let you know how she is. She was all 'fluffy' and looked abit unhappy when I separated her.

I feed Layena, and they have plenty of 'grit' in the run area... Have not had a prob with any of the other girls, infact, most of my shells are quite hard (compared to what the stores sell).

I do not have Tums, hubby prefers Rolaids, so I will see what else I have that is calcium rich (including veggies, etc.) I DO have sugar, and Prep H.

Thanks again!!!

So far, she is hanging in there - not too happy to be separated, kept knocking over her water, so I moved her from a bird cage to a rabbit cage. Did the sugar, couldn't find the prep H. I changed out the feed room light to a heat lamp, and blocked off any drafts. If she is still 'messy' tomorrow, may give her a warm bath on her bottom. Will post pix of current condition, if requested...?
I am hoping that she doesn't try to lay until she heals. Considering that one of mine laid a 2.8 oz today, and hers was so small, she should have had no probs.
sad.png

Had to do it again today -
he.gif

Hope it does not become daily ritual, I would like her to heal up... Am doing the sugar, will buy the preperation H tonite - any other suggestions to keep her from doing this, and then trying to 'lay' her insides afterward? I really don't want to cull just for this....

At last check about 9:30p, she was kinda hunched over, not to happy, but not too bad. Still standing.
I had to move her out of the rabbit cage as she was constantly knocking over her water. I put her in with two others that I have that are in a VERY large rabbit/'any animal that needs it' cage. Angel is a runt and afraid of most other chickens, Hawk is incredibly gentle, and the both together just being there helped the BR from going nuts over being alone. And no, neither of the other two are even looking at her 'behind'.
I plan to do the warm bath in the am as opposed the the warm wiping and compress that I have been doing, hoping that this will perhaps ease her bottom. Was told to try Vaseline to line inside her, for the next one to come out easier. If she does it again tomorrow, I will make sure to have the camera out with me. According to my collection records, I helped her with this one today at 1:30, but she had not been trying at 11:30 so tomorrow I will also keep watch during this time frame, to make sure I catch it right away, and not let her suffer with straining. I have never had an issue like this before, it was a shocker, but thanks to knowing ya'll were here made it nice to know I wasn't alone.

Quote:
I did search, and like yourself the results were 'TAKE HER TO THE VET' or cull her. Also dire warnings about trying to get the egg out yourself. For me it wasn't hard at all, and we do basic vetting ourselves anyways, so it was no big deal, not really.
As for how she's doing, there was no egg yesterday, she seemed so-so. Went out this am at 8, and found an egg in the cage. It was bloody, covered in poo, weighed in at 1.5, but it was laid, and she was neither swollen nor prolapsed.
smile.png
Now, as to if it will happen again, time will tell. I think she is just young, and will heal in time.

Plan to keep her caged for the week, and if she has no further probs will set her loose with the rest of the flock, as she is already anxious to join them.

Back
Top Bottom