feedstore chicks?

Correction on leghorns are lunes i do youth poultry judging and for egg production we have to deal with leghorn hens wich have not been socialized as well are standard size i have a feeling thats a factor to but bantam leghorns are some of the sweetes and chatty little things i have encountered. with the purchasing of chicks from the mill when i was getting back into chickens after a racoon took out my folk as young kid and we just kept the rooster i purchased what i was told by the mill workers were three barred rock pullets about two days old. well they never got their strips so i asked some one else and they told me langshan was the breed. now i know they were all wrong thier australorps and i love them.

I bought my first chicks in Georgetown too. The order from Ideal and they have a nice varied selections. I've seen Barred Plymouths, Americanas, red sex-linked, black sex-linked, Astralarps, wyandottes, production reds, mixed bantams, mixed ducks, mixed geese, peafowl and other kinds of chickens (I can't remember them all). They seem very willing to add something to their order to get you what you want. This is my main feed/farm store experience and it has been positive. I want to go look at their bantams and see if I can spot a Sebright. Y'know I just need one more, I can quit any time:gig

PS. My Americanas are definately EEs, one has the classic shape but no beard or muff, the other has muffs, no beard and a rounder body shape, my red hen is well, a red hen. They are great young birds. Maybe someday I can figure out the picture posting thing.

Karen

Last edited:
All my chicks and chickens are feedstore chicks. Do they represent the breeds well? They sure represent me well. I don't show chickens, or breed for show, but if I did, I would search for reputable breeders and buy from them.

thanks for the reply!! I wouldnt show my birds..I just want them as pets...the only thing I care about is that there feathers look like an accual silky and dont have stiff feathers, I think a feedstore sounds good for that.

thanks for all the replies once again
big_smile.png

Quote:
Holly, which feed store did you go to? I'm looking for Araucanas--not easter eggers, but true rumpless tufted araucanas, and they're so hard to find. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom